ARC and One SL, 5.1 kind of working

• 28 July 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi everyone,

I have had my Sonos ARC for a while now and just got a pair of One SLs, and I am trying to figure out how to reliably get surround sound with the following setup:

- Older Sony Bravia TV (KDL-46EX721) that has no internal apps for Netflix or other streaming services

- Regular Chromecast (non-ultra) connected to HDMI input on Bravia TV

- Sonos ARC connected to Bravia TV via HDMI ARC

I have tried several apps and hard reset all devices at least once, with the following result:

- I am getting Dolby Digital 5.1 sound via Chromecast on HBO Max

- Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube only play Stereo PCM

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to get 5.1 from Amazon Prime and Netflix? Would it help to use a Firestick or a Chromecast Ultra instead of my regular Chromecast?

Thanks in Advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

It’s strange that you are able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from HBO Max but not the other apps. I’m actually surprised that you are able to get 5.1 audio from any external device because your TV is an older model. 

If I were you, I would try another streaming device just to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn’t, then you’ll know it is a limitation on your older TV.

You might consider getting a device called the HDFury Arcana. It allows any external media device to bypass your TV and send audio directly to the Arc. This will result in the highest quality audio your device supports like Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos. I use the Arcana with my older TV and Arc setup and it works great.

FYI… 99.9% of YouTube videos are only in stereo. Even if the video says it is in 5.1 or Dolby Atmos, it will only play in stereo.

Badge

Thank you for your reply!

I knew that getting 5.1 to work would be hit or miss with my old TV, but seeing it work with HBO Max got my hopes up, and now I am disappointed because it doesn’t work with Netflix, which is my most used streaming service by far.

The HDFury Arcana looks interesting, but I am not sure if I want to spend that much money or if I rather look into a new TV set at some point, which I have been postponing for a while already, but my old one just won’t die ;)

I might give it a try with a Firestick and/or a Chromecast Ultra one of these days, that would be a much cheaper solution, and I can always return them if it doesn’t work out…

Cheers

Userlevel 7

Hi @Gneurf 

I have Panasonic Vera Plasma 2005 vintage 1080i resolution. Granted the picture may not be as bright as it was when it was new but it still works. FYI, it’s not one of my main sets.

My point being that if you wait for a some TV’s  to die you may never upgrade. The exception IMO is Samsung TVs which die typically right at the end of warranty (EOW). Had a Samsung Plasma 2012 vintage1080p resolution that required a new panel right at the EOW and finally died in 2018.

So my advice is that if your wallet can handle it...go get that new TV with a 4K panel. Once you do I’ll bet you kick yourself for waiting so long. 😂