ARC + 7.1.2 / An Open Letter (Or, "How to get me to buy more Sonos speakers")

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Dear Sonos Product Managers and Upper Management, 

You’ve successfully added me as a new convert to your ecosystem thanks to the Arc and you’ve gotten a decent chunk of change out of me already for the Arc plus a Sub 3 plus 2 One SLs plus a couple of wall mounts. I’m super happy with it all because it sounds great, was easy to set up, and because I didn’t have to run even an inch of speaker wire. 

Now, want to sell me some more speakers? Update the Arc firmware to support a 7.1.2 system. You’re already decoding Dolby Digital Plus (which supports 7.1 channels) and processing Atmos on the Arc, so is it that big of a deal to add a couple of extra channels to the network? Or how about that extra RAM and processing power in the Sub 3? It can’t be doing that much right now - put it to use. And since the Arc doesn’t have to support the physical amplification of the additional surrounds, it should be a snap! :wink:

Of course, I’m sure this is either MUCH more complicated than I’m making it (in that some Sonos audio / DSP engineer somewhere is rolling on the floor laughing his/her ass off reading this), or is already on your product roadmap. Or maybe it’s set for Arc 2 down the line. 

But looking at my room, I can find space and power for an additional 2 surrounds and I’ll bet many of your Arc customers feel the same and would love to really take the Arc system to the next level. 

So what do you say, Sonos? Want to take some more of my money? :money_mouth:

Love, always, 

Highfalutintodd

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Highfalutintodd, thanks for the feedback. We’re always open for improvements and doing our best to satisfy our customers and provide the best sound experience. We’ll surely forward this to our development team. If you have any questions, just let us know. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi @Highfalutintodd, thanks for the feedback. We’re always open for improvements and doing our best to satisfy our customers and provide the best sound experience. We’ll surely forward this to our development team. If you have any questions, just let us know. 

Hey, that’s awesome, @Krishma M. Thanks! This one dropped off so fast I didn’t think anyone ever saw it. Would love for this to be a function someday - and I promise to put my money where my mouth is if this becomes a feature you guys implement! ;-) 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Great idea. While you’re at it Sonos,,,,

How about adding an upward firing Atmos driver to a new One surround? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

We’ll surely look into that folks. Thanks! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Would be good if they could also work out the ongoing muddy bass and metallic sound issues 😟 wallet is safe until then.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Would be good if they could also work out the ongoing muddy bass and metallic sound issues 😟 wallet is safe until then.

Hi @Bumper, thanks for letting us know about that. Can you please confirm if you have surrounds or a Sub bonded to the Arc? Does that happen when playing music in the Sonos app or when playing from the TV only? You can submit a diagnostic here and reply to us with the confirmation number, that way we’ll be able to check your system. Thanks! 

Badge

Could not agree more. I have a tall TV cabinet. I’m already using Arc+pair of One SL’s and a Sub. On top of the cabinet I could easily place a pair of Ones for high front, Or something else that bounces off the ceiling. 
Danger Will Robinson! 
How about a second arc. One that knows it’s a second, and solely bounces the 6 atmos high channels off the ceiling? Achieved through a simple stand that changes the angle perhaps?

I have an open-plan living area. There are Sonos speakers in adjacent rooms that I can hear from the TV listening area. How about being able to use those in some kind of meta-surround whole-home-audio system? Surely true play could pick them up and position them appropriately? A simple switch to enable or disable whole home mode like the night mode and dialogue mode. 

Just a few thoughts. 

Userlevel 1

I’m glad I googled this thread because I almost ordered an additional pair of Play:1’s for my home theatre room just ASSUMING Sonos had built in 7.1 support!  Would really love to see this feature to add to my Arc home theatre setup!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

+1 from me.

Add DTS support for many more potential customers. :wink:

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I think it’s fun to see this little post keep rising unexpectedly from the dead. And glad to see that at least a few others would like this feature! 

+1 from me.

Add DTS support for many more potential customers. :wink:

I think we’ll get 7.1.2 support before we ever get DTS support from Sonos.  :sunglasses:

+1

+1