Answered

Apple-TV turn off after approx. 30 seconds

• 8 March 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi, 

Don’t know it this is a Sonos, Apple or Philips problem. But it all started when I connected my Sonos Beam to my TV. 

What happens? I change my TV to show the HDMI-port which my Apple-TV is connected to. The picture shows up but a message says “connecting” and after 30 seconds the Apple-TV turns off (connecting is still there for like another 45 sec, so I don’t know if that has someting to do with the problem). If I turn it on again it will be turned on as long as I want. 

I have a Philips 55” 6097, Apple-TV 4K and a Sonos Beam all connected via HDMI and the Sonos Beam controlled with ARC. Before I connected the Sonos Beam the Apple-Tv didn’t behave like this (I had the sound thorugh an Onkyo Recevier).

Anyone have any ideas?

icon

Best answer by stefan_karlsson 12 March 2020, 18:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Its no problem at all @stefan_karlsson. Please feel free to reach back out to us and let us know your findings. This way we can know what things to look for if other customers such as yourself run into the same issue.

Userlevel 7

Hi @stefan_karlsson 

If I understand you correctly you are manually changing the input on your Philips TV to access the HDMI port to which your AppleTV is connected. Try not changing to the AppleTv HDMI port manually and just use the AppleTV remote as follows...

Point the AppleTV remote at the AppleTV box and see if the TV auto-switches to the proper port. You may have the AppleTV remote programed to control power and input.

However, by manually switching to the AppleTV port and then using the AppleTV remote the signal is being sent to turn off because it thinks it’s already on. Just a guess :thinking:

As proof I can use my AppleTV remote to turn my TV on or off. Click the link regarding the AppleTV remote programing. 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205225

Thanks for taking your time @AjTrek1

I made some tests with my Apple-TV tonight. But I can’t get the Apple-Tv to switch to the right HDMI-input automatically when I turned it on. I have three different sources connected to my TV (except the Beam). It is a Blu-ray Player, a digital satellite receiver and the Apple-Tv. Both the Blu-ray and the satellite receiver switch to the right input (HDMI) when I turn them on, but not the Apple-Tv. I tried to change some settings at the Apple-TV but with no luck. I will try to make some more tests tomorrow when I have some more time.

I suppose it can be some settings in the TV, maybe with Easy-Link. But I will try that tomorrow.

Here’s an update:

If I change the input on my TV to the right HDMI-port for the Apple-TV it turns on, but it still turns off after 30 sec. This is not happening with my Blu-Ray player or my digital satellite receiver. 

But I have found out that it has something to do with the Easy-link enabling. If I turn that off, the Apple-TV doesn’t turn off. But then I can’t turn it on by switching the input on the TV to the right port and I neither can’t control the volume settings on the beam with my TV remote.

So the Easy-link needs to be switched on. And according to this the problem is not Sonos :) More like Philips.

Thanks for your contributions @AjTrek1 and @David C 

Hi again

I found out one more thing. In the settings of the Apple-tv under Remotes and Devices there is an option “Control TVs and Receivers”. If I turned that one on…. it suddenly seems to work :)

Hey @stefan_karlsson 

Thank you for reaching out to the community.

I would like for you to send us a diagnostic and reply back with the confirmation number. It seems like something is causing a communication problem between the Philips Tv and Apple Tv.

Thanks for fast respons David C. I have now send the diagnostic and the confirmation number is: 480644859

Hey @stefan_karlsson 

Thank you for providing us with the diagnostic report. I am not seeing anything that could be causing the issue with Apple Tv cutting off. Try removing the Beam from the Tv and let us know of how the Apple Tv behaves when the Beam is not in the equation.

Thanks for the respons once again. And I think I have made a poor troubleshooting becasue the problem still exists with the Beam unplugged. But I didn’t have the problem before I connected and installed the Beam, but it might be some settings in the TV that have been changed. I will look futher into this and maybe contact Philips. Thanks a lot so far :)