Answered

Apple TV + Sonos Beam wont generate Dolby Atmos

• 3 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi everyone,

I've encountered a problem that i hope that you can help me with.

My TV supports Atmos but after connecting an Apple TV 4k 3rd generation it wont work, in fact on the apple TV menu it doesnt show, theres supposed to be an "Immersive Sound" option.

My Beam 2 Generation is connected through the ARC(Not eArc, but as far as i could see it shouldnt matter), apple TV into normal HDMI.

My TV is a LG 65sj810v-za. I managed to toggle "Bypass" and i also tried passing both as "auto" and PCM, however nothing seems to work...

Dolby Vision and 4k works on the apple tv, i can get it to play 5.1 aswell but as i said, the Apple TV wont recognize it as Atmos. My TV will play atmos when i stream through the tv and not ATV.

Does anyone have any suggestions to how i can fix this?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 January 2024, 23:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Because the Apple TV 4K uses Dolby MAT to play Dolby Atmos audio, it requires a TV with eARC (in most cases). A few TV models can convert the Dolby MAT audio to Dolby Digital Plus by using the Auto setting on the TV. But if you are still unable to get Atmos audio with the Auto setting, then your TV doesn't support it.

Is there a "DTV Audio Settings" setting on your TV? If so, what is it currently set to?

Rather than using the Apple TV 4K, you should consider getting a streaming device that doesn't use Dolby MAT like a Roku Ultra, Fire TV Cube, or Nvidia Shield.

Hi! Thank you very much for your response :)

There is a DTV audio setting, i believe i tried all of them already, but i wasnt sure which one it “should” be. Default was auto. It looks exactly like this (Found this foto on the internet but its almost identical):
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1489486-volume-of-dialogue-is-very-low-in-51-home-theatre-system-while-watching-films-in-ott-platforms/.

Just bought the apple tv cause i like the interface and i wanted the homehub! What a shame… :P

Or simply change the output on your Apple TV.  It’s under Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format > Change Format and turn it on. On that same page, you would set the New Format to Dolby Digital Plus, if that’s available. Normally, it would show available formats, based on the speaker that is connected (via HDMI-CEC) 

Hi!

it only shows 5.1 when I try to change the format :/