Answered

Apple TV remote and Sonos Arc

• 22 May 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge

Is there a way to have my Apple TV remote control my Sonos Arc when the TV is off. For example if I am streaming my Sonos and the TV is off, my Amazon Fire TV remote is able to mute and control the volume on the Arc, which is *very* handy. The Apple TV remote, however, can only control volume when TV and Apple TV are powered on. Strangely the Fire TV remote doesn’t even require the fire stick to be plugged in for the remote to control the Arc. Hoping to find a way to duplicate this functionality with the Apple TV remote. 
Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum.

thanks for any ideas!

icon

Best answer by James L. 24 May 2021, 11:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +17

Hi @spencer98103,

The way that the Fire TV remote and Apple TV remote work are different. The Fire TV remote, during initial setup, will learn the IR codes that your TV uses in order to control volume and standby. Since the remote is now IR equipped you are able to teach the Arc these IR codes which allows volume control from the Fire TV remote. The Apple TV remote, however, doesn’t do this by default, which means that the Apple TV needs to be on in order for any control to happen. I managed to find this article from Apple’s support site that may help you in teaching the Apple TV remote the codes from your TV.

Badge

Thanks for the the response, James. I’ll check out the article.

Badge

Wow, it worked!
Apple owes you a commission for an Apple TV that just avoided being returned.

Very grateful for your tip.

Thanks again, James!