Apple TV pass through Xbox one with playbase

• 22 June 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi. I recently purchase a 5.1 system with a playbase. I have my Apple TV gen 4 connected through the hdmi pass through of the Xbox one. I set the Xbox settings to hdmi bitstream and bitstream to Dolby digital which has the Xbox sounding fine. I also set the ‘one guide’ setting to surround sound in the Xbox menu. From what I can tell my Apple TV, also with correct audio settings in Apple TV menu, is not delivering the rear audio. Is my setup incorrect? Can I pass through the Apple TV with the sonos setup or will I have to connect it directly to the tv? I’m hoping I can still use the pass through since I prefer watching tv through the Xbox. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Badge +1
What are the AppleTV audio settings? I don't have one, but I searched and found this Apple support doc:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069

If the audio ouput is set to "Best Quality Available", then it looks like it either outputs in stereo or uncompressed LPCM. I wonder if the XboxOne can't process uncompressed LPCM audio on the HDMI input, so you just get stereo. If you haven't tried it yet, maybe using the "Dolby Digital 5.1" output setting on the AppleTV would get surround sound working through the Xbox.