Answered

Apple TV 4K + LG C1 (eARC) + Arc/One SLs/Sub optimal connection sequence?

• 30 May 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hey brains trust, I bought an Apple TV 4K to add to my existing set-up, which comprises of the LG C1 and the Arc/2x One SLs/Sub gen. 3. 

I read connecting the Arc to the C1's eARC HDMI port and the Apple TV 4K to one of the "regular" ARC HDMI port is the way to go.

Is this the above an optimal connection sequence in order to maximise the entire set-up's audio performance/feature sets (lossless sounds, Dolby Atmos, etc.)? Or does the ATV4K have to be plugged into the eARC port instead?

I'm relatively new to the Sonos ecosphere and home theatre in general, and still learning how things relate/interact with each other.

icon

Best answer by ratty 30 May 2022, 16:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You plug the Sonos unit into the eARC port. ARC stands for ‘audio return channel’.

Anything else goes into the other HDMI ports.

Traditional HDMI sources (AppleTV, Blu-ray, cable box, etc.) send audio and video to the connected device, such as a TV, or A/V receiver. It’s a one-way channel. In the case of an A/V receiver, various sources would be connected to the receiver inputs and the receiver output would connect to a TV input. Modern TV’s include “Apps” and the TV must be able to send App audio back to the A/V receiver or, in our case, a SONOS ARC. This is the purpose of  the “HDMI ARC” two-way connection. “HDMI eARC” is an improved version that supports the newer, premium audio formats, such as DOLBY ATMOS.

The user must pay attention while making the connections because only one port on the TV and A/V device supports the ARC/eARC audio channel.