Apple TV 4k audio plays audio only on Beam in a Beam + 2 Play One SLs setup

• 31 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello

I have a weird issue with my Apple TV 4k and Sonos surround setup.

Here is the setup: Beam + 2x Play One SLs, Beam is connected to my Sony TV via HDMI ARC.

When using my PS4 or my Nintendo Switch, no issue, everythings fine.

When I use my Apple TV 4k, the main interface and most of the audio only plays on the beam and not on the Play One SLs. Even weirder, when I launch a movie from the Movie app, it plays actual surround on all speakers!

I tried multiple settings, both on my tv and on my Apple TV, the only way to have the sound coming out of all speakers it through Airplay, which is not great because it is not automatic and adds latency issues.

Of course, everything runs latest software updates and have been restarted.

Anyone has similar issue?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since other sources work in providing surround, I presume this is an ATV-problem. What audio settings is the ATV on now? Is there any way to set it to Dolby Digital 5.1?

Indeed, under audio format settings, it is possible to set the Apple TV to DD5.1, which I did. Unfortunately it only allowed me to have Dolby Digital 5.1 when the content is 5.1 ready. When it was on automatic, it did not even work.

What I am looking for is a bit like the « Full » setup for music but for the TV, it would allow stereo sources to play on every speaker and fill my living room.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The "Full” set up would not be surround. As I said here Surround sound options | Sonos Community:

“Suround sound is what it says on the tin: you hear applause in a concert, bird song in a park scene, helicopters flying over and the occasional bomb going off behind you. All important sounds and especially voices should be coming from the Beam - to the ear from your screen. Action movies give a more enveloping sound, in other movies it’s just some extra ambiance.”

Are you not expecting too much of the surround sound experience?

Of course I agree it would not be surround anymore, I just say that I find it a bit frustrating that there is no way to choose if I want the stereo audio output to play out of every speaker such as music does.