Answered

Anyone added a 2nd Sub?

• 26 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I read recently that Sonos updated the firmware to allow a 2nd sub to be added to a HT setup with compatible soundbar and at least one if the subs being a Gen 3. 

I already have two subs, and thinking about adding a third to the household collection -  but can’t test the 5.2 config as both current subs are Gen 2s. 

main reason for asking is that the answer would decide whether I choose a white or a black Sub to add. IF the 2nd sub config adds a lot of benefit I’d prefer to colour match it to the existing 5.1 system. But if it is only marginal then I’ll match it to the ‘other room’ and ‘loan’ it to the HT for occasional use. 

EDIT: i should add that the room is approx 6.5m by 3.5m and rears are Play 5 Gen 2. 

thanks.  

icon

Best answer by buzz 26 December 2020, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

If I put two Sonos subs in the same (primary) room, which would likely be a room where I listen to Sonos products a majority of the time, I would likely want them to colour-match each other. simply because both would be seen in the one room by visitors etc. It would not matter,  if they were somehow not viewable.

The second standalone sub in any ‘other’ (secondary) room, can be either black or white - that would not bother me too much. At least there’s only the one device and I would try to hide it if it did not match the speakers in that room.

There is always the option to add a cover to the standalone sub (not my preference) but it’s an option, I guess:

https://www.coloryoursound.com/speakers/sub-speakers.html

Only you know what sounds ‘best’. I think that the second SUB is great fun.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@Ken_Griffiths - I think we are in agreement about the colour co-ordination. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

@buzz. In what way?  Are to expand? thanks.

For music the goal is usually to recreate the original experience. We have all sorts of flowery words to describe the sound, such as ‘uncolored’, ‘’realistic’, ‘flat’, ‘smooth’, ‘good imaging’, and on and on. For movies we want a bigger than life result for the chase scene. A single SUB can be very aggressive, and will often rattle the walls and windows. Two SUB’s put more energy into the room. As I said, it’s “fun” (during the chase scene) for action movies.

A few traditional subwoofers had two settings one attempting to provide realistic music rendering and a more aggressive setting for supporting video. It would be easy to add this capability to a SONOS surround system.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Chanced it and ordered and 2nd one in black along with an Arc. Quite a wait for delivery though due to being on backorder. It’ll be interesting to see how the “ultimate” Sonos HT set up sounds - Arc, 2x Subs, 2x Play5 Gen 2 as rears.