Answered

Another question about the upcoming Sonos Beam.

• 27 June 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hi guys,

I have a pair of Sonos Play 5 ( 1st generation ) speakers in my living room. I am planning to buy the upcoming Sonos Beam but I have one question. Can I use my Sonos Play 5 speakers, which just happen to be on the bookshelf behind me when I'm watching TV ( which to my mind is just the ideal position for them for the surround effect ), both as surround speakers with the Beam when watching TV and after turning off the TV use them again as the main stereo speakers for music without having to do a speaker reset and a Truesound calibration every time ?
icon

Best answer by ratty 27 June 2018, 20:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Afraid not. PLAY:5 gen1 can't be used as surrounds. They lack the 5GHz radio needed to communicate directly with the home theatre player (Beam or PLAYBA*).

And, even if you had PLAY:5 gen2s they can't be freely switched between surround duties and operation as a stereo pair. As you note, it would be a case of removing the surrounds, pairing, Trueplay tuning ... then back again to re-bond them as surrounds.
Your best route if you want surround sound would be to use a pair of Play:1s or Sonos Ones and keep the P:5s for music. Play:1s work very well as surrounds, and some people on here have suggested that P:5s are a bit OTT for surrounds.
Badge
Ok, many thanks for your clarifying answers guys 🙂