Answered

Android TV box not playing sound through Sonos Beam

• 10 August 2020
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos Beam and 2 Sonos one speakers of which I would like to attach an android TV box to my Samsung 50” series 8 smart TV and receive the sound through the Sonos Beam. Currently the android tv box that I have attached to my tv is connected by HDMI cable. When trying to play through the android box the sound reverts to tv speakers rather than the Sonos beam. If I were to purchase a new android box with optical connection port and connect it to my tv with an optical cable Would this allow the sound to come through my Sonos Beam?

your advice would be very much appreciated.

cheers

Graham

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 August 2020, 18:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I think you’re over complicating this. First, most TVs don’t have an optical input, only an optical output. I suspect that what’s happening is that for whatever reason, the HDMI CEC command that defines acceptable formats is either not being sent by the TV, or possibly not being accepted and processed by the Android TV box. 

I would recommend a few things. First, go in to the TV’s settings, and make sure HDMI CEC is turned on. That may be called AnyNet + on a Samsung, I think. Then, go into the settings for this Android TV box, and check for similar settings, turning on HDMI CEC. If there is no such setting, restrict the Android TV box to Dolby Digital only, so it doesn’t send signals to your TV that can’t be passed on to the Beam, like Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS. 

I think that should clear up your issue. If not, I’d recommend getting in touch with the maker of this Android TV box, and ask them why it isn’t respecting HDMI CEC connections. 

Many thanks for your reply. I checked on the tv that AnyNet+ was turned on (it was). Then I went into the android box settings and found CEC Switch which was turned off. I turned it on and hey presto it worked.

Now I am getting the sound from the android box through the Sonos.

very much appreciated ,many thanks

Graham