Question

Amp home theatre set up

• 25 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Amp that I intend to use as the front speakers for a home cinema system.  My questions is, can I combine this with a pair of Sonos One’s or Play:1’s as the rear speakers to make a surround set up?

I’m pretty sure the answer to this is yes, so, follow on questions:

1. If I do this, do the voice assistants get disabled on the rear speakers (I’ve read somewhere this might be the case, but since the Amp doesn’t have built in voice assist I’m not sure)
  2. Can I also add a sub to this set up easily - either the Sonos sub wirelessly, or a wired third party sub connected to the Amp’s dedicated sub output?

Thanks!

John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Amp that I intend to use as the front speakers for a home cinema system.  My questions is, can I combine this with a pair of Sonos One’s or Play:1’s as the rear speakers to make a surround set up?

Yes, you can.

I’m pretty sure the answer to this is yes, so, follow on questions:

1. If I do this, do the voice assistants get disabled on the rear speakers (I’ve read somewhere this might be the case, but since the Amp doesn’t have built in voice assist I’m not sure)

No, not when the front speakers are powered by an Amp.  The rear speakers are disabled when the front soundbar has a built in voice assistant itself.

1. Can I also add a sub to this set up easily - either the Sonos sub wirelessly, or a wired third party sub connected to the Amp’s dedicated sub output?

Yes to both.

Thanks!

John

Your welcome.  One thing to consider is that there is no physical center speaker with this setup, it’s a phantom center produced by your two front speakers.