Question

AMP fails to reconnect with LG TV via HDMI eARC

• 23 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi

Have connected SONOS AMP to LG 9C TV using brand new High speed HDMI cable via eARC port in TV.

Works fine : SONOS AMP receive TV sound through HDMI eARC and plays it in loudspeakers and in other SONOS speakers in my home.

During the day I use same AMP to play streamed radio or music - also in the entire home - this also works fine.

When it’s time for watching TV I stop the streamed radio/music.

Then I turn on the TV using the TV remote and get NO SOUND :-( neither from TV nor from SONOS AMP.

The SONOS AMP does’nt seem to react to the eARC signal but the TV knows that AMP is there since it has switched off its internal speakers.

To make it work again I need to unplug the HDMI cable (then TV switches sound to internal speakers to indicate there is no HDMI connected) and then I must reconnect the HDMI cable which causes the SONOS AMP to play sound from the TV (and the TV mutes its internal speakers). And the all is as it should be including TV sound in all SONOS speakers.

But quite irritating to have to disconnect/connect HDMI cable every evening at TV time :-(

Any thoughts on how to fix this ?

Additional info:

SONOS AMP ethernet port is wire connected to internet router,.

TV ethernet port is wire conneced to SONOS AMP switch port.

Remaining SONOS speakers are connected through wifi.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Amp does not need eARC - HDMI-ARC is sufficient. Can you turn the “e” off in the settings on your TV?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

If the above doesn’t work, try turning off the “Quick Start” feature in the LG C9 panel, so it is forced to reset each and every port when powering on.

@smlind   Make sure Autoplay is turned on.  In the Sonos app, go to Settings → System → <room name> and verify ‘TV Autoplay’ is on.  This lets Sonos know that if it sense audio through the ARC connection, to automatically switch to that source.  You won’t need to turn off your music first.

If you don’t want to do that, then you will need to switch to TV audio manually every time.  Click the music note tab (2nd one), then scroll down till you see TV and select it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

And, @smlind , if you would be so kind, would you please report back *which* of these 3 options made a difference?  (You are not unique: there is a thread here with Ye Olde Sonos Staff suggesting silly stuffe like replacing the HDMI cable and powering off and on again -- before other users addressed the actual issue.  It would be nice if you could nail down the answer for us all, in at least this one instance.) 

Adjunct to this issue, @melvimbe , have you been able to verify what the word “sense” of TV Autoplay feature actually means?  Is it looking for an audio signal through an always-on HDMI connection, or if it is trying to sense the HDCP link being set up or taken down?  If unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable works for this customer, doesn’t that mean that they *have* already set TV Autoplay on?  Someone here even suggested (incorrectly I believe but who knows) that turning on CEC in the TV was responsible and that would wake up the output device.

Sonos Staff, read this and weep: Your betters have apparently chosen not to publish the method (complete with ands/ors/ifs as appropriate, e.g. broken down by HDMI vs. optical, ARC vs. eARC, etc.) for the activation of TV Autoplay -- at least not in any thread I could search for.  Here’s the place!  Now’s the time!  Just do it!  [Insert pointless exhortation here.]  Staff is not unresponsive, but everything is couched as “try this, try that” directed at one customer, which makes us guess at how you really expect the feature to work.  This may be viewed as “proprietary” but it’s also *essential knowledge* for any installer!