all this new stuff... meh. what *I* want..

• 7 March 2021
  • 1 reply

So I'm not special or anything lol, just wanted to put out there what would make me buy more Sonos.  Seems a new product is on the way, and some recent new functionality.  None of which interests me in the least.  At least, in one case, without my top wishlist item.

Btw my system = 2 Arc, 2 Fives, 1 gen 3 Sub, 8 One SLs.

1) 7.1 surround. Not even close to any other "want".  Here's the benefit for Sonos.  I but 2 more Ones for my main theater setup, (already have 5.1 with the Arc and Ones) and at that point more likely than not I buy a second sub since it is now supported.  (But ZERO chance I buy a second sub without 7.1) In addition, for my second theatre setup - another Arc, 2 more Ones (have a couple down there but they can be moved elsewhere should I go with a different brand for that setup - which won't happen if, well there's that pesky 7.1 again).   Add a sub, or even two and another Arc.  

So there's another 3k.

2)  DTS.  I know, never gonna happen is the chorus.  For theater room 1 I'm already invested (and have holes iny walls haha) so 7.1 Atmos is fine there with the corresponding additional purchases.  But for theater 2, nah, 7.1 AND DTS is the only way I'm going full Sonos for that.  Like I said I've only got a couple ones and a five down there at the moment, for music, as that is a work in progress and they can easily be repurposed.  I'm going 7.1 (or more) Atmos AND DTS X with someone - if it isn't Sonos so be it.

3) Upward firing Atmos speakers surrounds.  Preferably an add on to the Ones or a separate unit altogether.  I'm open to trading in the current Ones for replacements that add upward firing in a similar form factor.  Along with 7.1 and DTS that could be a purchase (or upgrade) of as many as 8 more speakers.  Again I'm locked into theater 1, theater 2 not at all.

There you go, pretty simple.  (Not to say implementation would be simple but nothing extravagant - not asking for world peace)

(As far as DTS that is just silly needing to beg for it - yes, going in it was understood no DTS but it is nothing more than $ for licensing.  At Sonos prices there is zero reason it isn't built in - but fine, make it an add on, like my Tesla, it's built in you just pay a chunk more to unlock that functionality)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Ok, so I should mention that multi channel PCM certainly at least allows DTS discs to be played back, and with 5.1.  So I suppose a bit more emphasis on my strong desire for 7.1 over DTS per se, but of course that would not allow DTS X object based.  But as mentioned, give me 7.1 and I'm all in for the 4 extra speakers and 2 or 3 more subs.  DTS and upfiring surrounds - even more.