Adding wired passive KEF bookshelf speakers and NAD amp to existing sonos 5.1 home theatre system.

• 15 March 2021
  • 4 replies

Good Afternoon,

I have Sonos Playbar, Sub, and 2 Sonos one’s as my rear channel speaker in my family room.  I have a optical connecting my TV to my playbar.  I am wondering if I can purchase an optical splitter and run an additional optical down to my NAD amp to power my 2 KEF bookshelf speakers with my Sonos system.

Any help with this is appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You could, but it won’t sound great if they’re both audible at the same time.

There’s a slight delay through your Sonos home theatre setup (30-40ms) so unless you can match that with your NAD/KEF kit you’ll get an unpleasant echo.

Thanks Ratty, would it be better to connect the KEF’s to a Sonos Amp? would that solve the delay issue?

It depends. You could replace the Playbar with the Amp. Or you could use the Amp to drive rear speakers, in place of the Ones.

If you were thinking of an Amp+KEFs as another ‘room’, grouped with the Playbar’s, then I’m afraid you’d run into the fact that for TV the Amp would be slightly delayed. (For music it would be in perfect sync.) 

I appreciate it, seems like it will be a bit difficult to accomplish what I’m after.  Hope with new updates Sonos makes these types of pairings less complicated.