Question

Adding Sony HTST7 HD to Sonos system

• 26 September 2017
  • 12 replies

I run my television, gaming system and Apple TV through a Sony HTST7 HD. Bought a Connect and pair of Play 1. Set up was easy, grouped them and when I play music all three work — sound bar has to be set to analog, assuming because the Connect runs through RCA jacks. However only the sound bar works when the TV is on — sound bar has to be set to HDMI 1, assuming because it runs through the HDMI 1 jack into TV.

Question: is there a way to configure it so the pair of Play 1 also carry TV sound along with the sound bar? Again, all three work for music (when sound bar is set to analog/Connect input).

Thanks for any help, hope I explained it clearly.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

So, the PLAY:1s are not set up as surround speakers for the PLAYBAR? If not, just "group" the rooms together, and they should play the same as the PLAYBAR, although there might be a slight delay of around 70ms as it buffers the signal to send across 2.4Ghz, rather that the 5Ghz signal it uses when they're set up as surrounds.
Thanks for the reply. I did group them (the pair of PLAY:1's and the Sony soundbar w/CONNECT -- not a PLAYBAR) when I first set them up. But for some reason they only work as a group when I play music. When I play the TV only the soundbar works and the PLAY:1's are silent. It might have something to do with the fact I run all my devices through the sound bar (like a receiver) and have to change the input on it from HDMI 1 (which runs to the TV) to Analog (which runs to the CONNECT) to hear music through it. Not sure, but before I started recabling everything was wondering if I might have missed something.
I'll be honest, I'm not sure I understand your setup.

Let me go look up the Sony device you're speaking of, to see exactly what it is.

The picture I'm looking at, courtesy of Google search, indicates that there's 1 HDMI (ARC) out, and 3 HDMI inputs, as well as a Digital input, what might be 2 optical inputs, and a pair of analog inputs for stereo. I don't see any audio outputs on that. How are you pushing the data into the CONNECT? Honestly, the only output I see is an HDMI out, which I assume goes to your TV. Do you have the CONNECT attached to the RCA output on your TV?
For those of you playing along at home, here's where I'm seeing the input/output panel:

https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-ht-st7/review/
The Connect + Soundbar is one Sonos zone for music sources, the P:1s another. End of story for Sonos. When TV plays through soundbar it goes nowhere near Sonos so naturally the Sonos speakers are silent.

To look at it another way, you have grouped the Connect and Play:1s. What you haven't done, and cannot do, is group the soundbar and Play:1s, because the soundbar isn't a Sonos device.
Thanks guys. John that makes sense, I was under the impression the CONNECT would allow the sound bar to speak to the PLAY:1s and distribute the tv sound through them. Didn’t realize only the Sonos sound bar would. CONNECT isn’t quite the fix all for legacy equipment I had hoped.
There is a way to sort of do what you want, by directing the TV audio through the Connect line in and out to the soundbar. But I think the compromises would be unacceptable. The audio lag would be useless for gaming, for example.
Interesting. I'll give it a shot, just to see how it works. Appreciate the input.
It might be helpful if you specified the model number of your soundbar. Does it have any outputs? I would assume it does not. If it does have RCA outputs, then you could output from the subwoofer to the CONNECT. The you can tell sonos to play 'line in' from the connect grouped with P:1s. In that way, your P:1s would play what's playing on the soundbar. There would be a slight delay which wouldn't be an issue if your P:1s are not in the same room as the tv/soundbar.

That's pretty similar to what John suggesting, except that with this setup, your soundbar shouldn't have a delay in audio.
Melvimbe, I linked to an article about that specific soundbar above, it includes a picture of the input/output area.
Dagnabit. I thought you were referring to the tv..
Heh. No worries 🙂 Just a bunch of numbers and letters, no reason for you to know which device it was.