Adding Beam has made system unstable

• 1 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have had Sonos in my home for years with only minor issues.  Over those years I’ve learned how to recognize and remedy the usual network problems that can pop up with Sonos.  For maybe the past 2-3 years,  since I got my new router,  I have all 9 boxes on static IPs and the system has been absolutely rock solid.  Root zone is wired to the router. All others are on Sonosnet.

I bought a Beam.  It arrived Sunday and I am now in Sonos hell.  I added it with zero issues. It grabbed an IP address and I reserved that in the router like all the other Sonos devices. I converted my stereo pair of Play 3s to surrounds. Now it appears I have an issue. My app (S1 on iOS) takes anywhere from 10 seconds to up to a minute to display my devices, sometimes displaying just the root zone. I’m also getting other wacky behavior - streams dropping out, zones not responding to volume adjustments, zones continuing to play after I mute them.  

I’ve killed power to all Sonos boxes,  rebooted the router, added the root zone first,  and then one by one, verifying each one has the reserved IP allocated to it.  I have removed the Beam and the problem still remains.  I have installed the Beam three times now after resetting it. I reverted the pair of Play3s to a stereo pair in another room.

I assume I have some kind of IP conflict.  I’ve exported my list of connected devices from my router and see no dupes. The addresses in my Sonos app match the reservations in my router. I’ve even goine around the house with my list and power cycled every IP device in the house.

Do I have a bad Beam? Any advice would be appreciated.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What is the wired device? Not a Bridge by any chance? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

No,  it’s one of my Connects.  It’s a ZP90.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’ve made the Beam the wired root zone.  I’ll see how that works.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Well,  that was it.  I made the Beam the wired root zone and everything is back to being rock solid.  I can see all my rooms/devices the moment the app opens and everything works again.

I wonder why the ZP90 couldn’t cut it?

It’s conceivable that its wireless card is getting a bit tired. ZP90 is pretty old. Beam has the latest wireless card.

A simpler explanation is that the ZP90 might just have had a dodgy cable connection.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It’s conceivable that its wireless card is getting a bit tired. ZP90 is pretty old. Beam has the latest wireless card.

A simpler explanation is that the ZP90 might just have had a dodgy cable connection.

Maybe, but that ZP90 has been my wired root zone for ever,  and I used the same ethernet cable and simply dragged it over to the Beam. The ZP90 is about 4 feet from the Beam.