Question

Adding a new device to an existing room?

• 8 November 2020
  • 3 replies

In my living room i use a Beam and two One SL’s for the TV and to hear radio and streamed music. This works great. But i need an additional speaker for a part of the room, thats not in the center. It works, to create an new room “living_2” with this additional speaker and to combine the two living rooms. But the volume of the TV-sound is managed by the remote control of the TV that is received by the Beam. But this signal has influence only to the original living room, not to living_2. Thats my problem. Has anyone any idea?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Pagi.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us. I understand you are looking for answers on how to control your Living_2 as the remote control of your TV can only control the original Living room Sonos Home theater speaker. Let me help you with that.

Currently, The only way to control the Living_2 Sonos device grouped to your original Living Sonos Home theater speaker is through the Sonos App. Sonos only supports up to 5.1 surround sound set up. By opening the Sonos App and taping on the volume slider of the group coordinator which is your living room, it generates a secondary volume slider which is the volume control for your Living_2. This is the only way of controlling the volume of your Living_2 grouped to your original living room Sonos Home theater speaker or by tapping on the physical volume control on the actual device itself. Sonos does not support anything beyond 5.1 which is a 7.1 surround sound set up. 

I hope this answers your question.

Please let us know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

If I’m reading your post properly, that’s the way the system is designed. You can not use a TV remote to control a volume on any room that is ‘grouped’ with the room that has the TV input. The TV’s remote control will only control the room that the TV is connected to. 

Hi Paul, Hi Bruce,

thanks for your answers! But that’s what i allready know. So i have to live by using the handy-app instead of the TV-remote-control.

thanks for your support!