Question

Able to use Playbar with my own receiver and sub?

• 14 August 2017
  • 4 replies

Seeking to use Playbar with my own receiver and subwoofer. I have a Yamaha RX-V371 receiver, and a Subwoofer that is still fairly new, and very powerful.

The Yamaha receiver has no Digital Optical out, so I can't go from the receiver directly to the Playbar, but I can go from the receiver to the TV with HDMI, and the TV has a Digital Optical Out.

My question is, can anybody see a reason why this wouldn't work to use the Playbar (and potentially some rear Sonos Speakers), with my own Sub that is going through my receiver? I'd love to invest in Sonos speakers, but don't want to have to forfeit my perfectly working Receiver and Sub, which would be a $500 loss.

(As far as I know, I'd imagine the Optical Out from the TV would in no way impede the function of the active Subwoofer being signaled from my receiver)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You already have the playbar? If so, I don't see how you could cause any problems by trying it. It sounds like it would work. Of course, as with any tv, it needs to pass DD5.1 to the playbar in order to add your surround speakers at a later date. Also, you're sub won't kick on when you're listening to non-tv sources. And you would need to control the sub volume and playbar volume separately.
Many thanks for your response - you bring up a good point having to control my sub separately from the Playbar - I have some thinking to do.

I may end up selling my equipment and going Full-Sonos. (I don't own any products yet, just doing a lot of research and consideration).

It's a bit disappointing that Sonos has no headquarters or showrooms of their own for a proper demonstration of their 5.1 plus sub.

The only Best Buy near me has the full Sonos lineup, but all demos are out in the open midst an aisle, neglected from the proper glass presentation enclosure with other brands. If I were to experience a proper demonstration in an emulated living room setting, I'm sure I'd have been much more inclined or convinced to jump on a purchase!
I believe if you buy direct from Sonos, there is a 45 day return policy.

Do you no longer have the speakers with your receiver (other than the sub)? Are you looking to move to sonos to get rid of wires?

I came across sonos somewhat by accident. I had a few connects previously, but bought my current house with the sonos 5.1 system thrown in. I couldn't be happier with it. I moved my old receiver setup to the gameroom, but honestly, I've thought about replacing that with a playbar as well.
I have my 5.1 home theater in full, but the 4 speakers are 50 watt, and the center speaker is 120 watt, so it's completely imbalanced. (Front 2 and Rear 2 are different brands as well lol - a complete Frankenstein Monster system).

The Sub is an active 10" 210 watt Velodyne brand - very efficient and powerful. I'd have to let it go, and I didn't feel to impressed with the Sonos Sub in the ineffective Best Buy setting, so was standoffish about spending $700 on another sub when I have a great one.