Question

5.2 with playbar, 2 subwoofers, 2 Play 5's

• 6 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I know we can set up the Playbar+Sub+2 Play 5's for 5.1 surround. My question is can we add to bass a bit and set a system with the same original speakers and add a subwoofer for the rears, or just a 5.2 system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos doesn't support it, but you can certainly just move the sub - if you stick it in a corner for instance, it will loosen the bass but make it more sound more powerful. Two subs are really used to even out the bass, not double it, ordinarily. 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
That is what I figured. I guess with the Play 5's they should put out enough bass for the rears
Userlevel 2
Badge
Particularly with the highly compressed nature of Dolby Digital, even the Play 5's would be overkill.

Bass is also non-directional, with LFE having wavelengths of 30+ feet. Properly adjusted for bass management, your subwoofer can handle all of the lows, and anything Play 3 or larger will handle it just fine - Play 5's really just buy you more power for larger rooms.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
This is not normal practise.

If you do set up a 5.2 system, with two subs, they would normally both be located in the front half of the room to balance left and right. No standard setups would have a sub at the rear.