Question

5.1 surround with Arc and 2 Amps

• 4 September 2020
  • 1 reply

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

I was looking at trying to setup a 5.1 surround system in a theater room with Sonos.  I’ve read that if you setup the sonos Amp as surround that it disables the sub output and the line input which I would prefer to not have.

So that leads to my questions on if it’s possible to have the Sonos Arc as the center channel that plugs into the eARC HDMI port from the TV along with 2 sonos amps?

The thought is to have the Arc plugged into the TV and then have 1 Sonos Amp communicate wirelessly to the Arc setup as a front TV speakers with the sub output active and have that one power the two front left and front right Sonance in wall speakers as well as the Sub.  Then have a second Sonos Amp communicate wirelessly to the Arc setup as surround (which will disable the sub output) that would then power the rear left and rear right Sonance in ceiling speakers.  I would like these to all function as one room within the App is possible.

I was told by Ana C through the Sonos support chat that two Amps can’t work together as a single room but I’ve then seen community posts that say the opposite so I’m very confused.  Ana C just cut off my chat and didn’t answer my questions.

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @wh1, welcome to the Sonos Community! We greatly appreciate you being a part of the Sonos family. It is our pleasure.

I understand that you want to know how to use and exhaust your Sonos products and let me help you with it. 

First, Sonos Amp’s SUB output and line input are disabled when Amp is used as TV surround speakers and it will be dependent on the Sonos soundbar like Arc whatever you play to it that’s why SUB output and line input are disabled.

Here’s more about setting up the Sonos Amp. For the other option for the Sonos Amp, if you didn’t use it as a TV surrounds, you can add it as a regular room and group the Arc and the Sonos Amp together in the Sonos app to play the music or TV audio from Arc at the same time. 

Let me know if this helps and if you have further questions. 

We and the community are always here to help.