Question

5.1 Surround Sound with Oppo 103 Blu Ray

• 21 December 2016
  • 1 reply

Hope somebody can help. I have an Oppo 103 blu ray player and want to pass 5.1 to the Playbar. I have an 6 year old Sony TV which doesn't pass through 5.1 via its optical port. I also have a Sky Q box so I've got an optical splitter. I have feeds from the Oppo and the Sky box and then the splitter's output feeds into the Playbar. When I play a blu-ray or DVD-Audio disk on the Oppo, the source on the Sonos app says 'Stereo'. How do I get this to show '5.1 digital'? On a similar note, how would I be able to play SACDs on the Oppo and get 5.1 from the Playbar? My understanding was that I would need an HDMI or Coaxial output, which the Playbar obviously doesn't support. Is there any way of getting 5.1 from SACD disks with my setup? Any help would be really appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Are there any settings in the oppo to force only DD5.1 out through the optical lead?
If it is sending anything else ie DTS, DD5.1plus, you will get stereo or worse nothing.
Is sonos happy with sky Q optical then?