Question

5.1 Surround Placement - opinions?

• 22 August 2017
  • 1 reply

I am planning on getting a Playbase in the very near future. I have a Sonos Sub and Play 1's to use for rounding out the 5.1 setup. My question is about where to place the Play 1's for surround - SIDE or SLIGHTLY BEHIND (and angled)?

I'd rather not have to purchase stands and have the Play 1's taking up real estate behind the sofa, but if it's the optimal sound placement then I can deal.

My more optimal placement option is directly to the sides of the main sofa - however, there is one slight catch...

One surround speaker will be a few feet further from center than the other. They would still be at the same height as each other though. For example the right surround speaker might be 8ft from center while the left might be more like 12ft. Nothing crazy different but 3-4ft total. Would TruePlay be able to compensate for this discrepancy? Is there a balancing option in the surround setup?

Any opinions on which setup should produce the best results? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Sonos has a page that discusses some of your questions here:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2938?_ga=2.126136143.316308720.1503326476-690006006.1490632081

Unfortunately, I haven't yet setup the system you're discussing, so I'm not able to definitely say. It doesn't appear you can manually modify each speaker's volume, rather they're controlled together. TruePlay may take care of it, but again, I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone can offer their experience.