Answered

5.1 setup with the two Sonos 1s next to Playbar

• 21 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a Sub, two Play 1s, and Playbar for my main living room TV. The TV sits on a media console and I sit directly in front of that, about 12 feet. The Sub sits next to the media console, with the Playbar in front of the TV and the two Play 1s on either side of the Playbar. I know the two Play 1s should be on either side of me by the couch, but I have no where to put them unless I mount them into the wall on either side of my couch, which I don't really do. My question - am I losing a lot here leaving the Play 1s where they are, next to the Playbar. Also, how do I know with certainty that I am getting Dolby Digital - when I check Advanced Settings it does day Dolby Digital - but what does that even mean in terms of watching content? I have a 4k Apple TV hooked up and set the sound on that to Dolby Digital. It is very confusing whether I should invest in a HDMI switch to achieve X. I have a Sony 65" X900E. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 21 September 2018, 19:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My question - am I losing a lot here leaving the Play 1s where they are, next to the Playbar.

Yes. They are designed as rear surrounds, playing audio that should appear behind you. If you're fine with your current setup though, not really a problem.

Also, how do I know with certainty that I am getting Dolby Digital - when I check Advanced Settings it does day Dolby Digital - but what does that even mean in terms of watching content?

From within the Sonos app. If you click More -> Settings -> About My Sonos System, you can see whether you're getting stereo or dolby digital for your playbar.

I have a 4k Apple TV hooked up and set the sound on that to Dolby Digital. It is very confusing whether I should invest in a HDMI switch to achieve X. I have a Sony 65" X900E. Thanks!

You probably have it set correctly, but if not, I would not worry about it if/until you get the rear speakers placed behind you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you. What mounts do you suggest for the Sonos 1s to put on wall? Also, how high above me on the couch should they be? My question about the HDMI switch was what I have read - to get true DD or something?
I have Sony xbr55 x900e.
I have a switch going into HDMI 2 , HDMI 3 - beam
It's a little tricky setting up the TV since I'm currently using a shield TV as my main device for EVERYTHING vs you prob use apple 4k TV in place of my shield. Feel free to msg me and get my discord info and DM and I can guide you , TPARK pound 2984 is my discord .