Answered

5.1 Setup with Receiver - No Sonos Sound Bar

• 18 April 2023
  • 2 replies

I haven’t found an exact answer on the forums here, so apologies in advance if this appears to be a duplicate post, but I just need some clarification before we start doing some wiring in our house…

For aesthetic purposes I am looking for a setup that allows a 5.1 setup to run on Sonos.

The TV is going above fireplace within a recessed area and we don’t want a mantle for a Sonos sound bar (Arc) to sit on top of.

As I understand it, there is no way to get a 5.1 setup with Sonos if you’re not going with an Arc (or Beam) and pairing with Sonos rears (Eras, One, Fives, etc.) or passive ceiling speakers powered by a Sonos Amp that is then paired with the Arc. 

It seems like the best I could do is a 4.1 setup with no center channel if I went with a pair of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers - each powered by a pair of Sonos Amps, is this correct?

Alternatively, if I had a 5.1 setup connected to an AV receiver could I connect a Sonos Port? If so, what is required to easily switch between TV audio and Sonos? Do I need a smart remote or to always have the Receiver remote easily accessible? If I go this route will the Sonos output to all 5 speakers or still only input to left/right speakers - will it at least go to the in-wall and in-ceiling (all four, 2 left, 2 right).

Related to above… would a receiver that ‘Works with Sonos’ solve this issue?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 18 April 2023, 22:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I haven’t found an exact answer on the forums here, so apologies in advance if this appears to be a duplicate post, but I just need some clarification before we start doing some wiring in our house…

For aesthetic purposes I am looking for a setup that allows a 5.1 setup to run on Sonos.

The TV is going above fireplace within a recessed area and we don’t want a mantle for a Sonos sound bar (Arc) to sit on top of.

As I understand it, there is no way to get a 5.1 setup with Sonos if you’re not going with an Arc (or Beam) and pairing with Sonos rears (Eras, One, Fives, etc.) or passive ceiling speakers powered by a Sonos Amp that is then paired with the Arc. 

It seems like the best I could do is a 4.1 setup with no center channel if I went with a pair of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers - each powered by a pair of Sonos Amps, is this correct?

Yes, this is all correct.  I would add that the 4.1 setup is advertised as a ‘phantom’ center channel.  Also, you would need to add a 3rd party sub or Sonos sub to get the ‘.1’.

Alternatively, if I had a 5.1 setup connected to an AV receiver could I connect a Sonos Port?

This is correct, however if you don’t have the space for a soundbar, how do you have the space for a center channel speaker? Are you planning on placing the speaker above the fireplace/TV?  Mounted in the ceiling (not recommended)?

If so, what is required to easily switch between TV audio and Sonos? Do I need a smart remote or to always have the Receiver remote easily accessible? If I go this route will the Sonos output to all 5 speakers or still only input to left/right speakers - will it at least go to the in-wall and in-ceiling (all four, 2 left, 2 right).

Related to above… would a receiver that ‘Works with Sonos’ solve this issue?

A receiver that is part of the ‘Works with Sonos’ is a good solution for this.  What that essentially means is that changing the volume in the Sonos app (for Port) will change the volume on the receiver.  Also, starting playback of a Sonos source, streaming music for example, will switch the input automatically.  This is not required, as the Port can essentially just be a ‘dumb’ input to the receiver.

As far as left right speakers, the Port will output stereo audio, just left and right channels.  There will probably be a setting on your receiver to output stereo to rear audio channels as well.

So no center channel with this setup either? 

Yes, this is all correct.  I would add that the 4.1 setup is advertised as a ‘phantom’ center channel.  Also, you would need to add a 3rd party sub or Sonos sub to get the ‘.1’.

I have a Sonos Sub (Gen 3), but my understanding is that this can only pair with Arc/Beam or Amp, meaning I’d likely need a wired sub from receiver.

This is correct, however if you don’t have the space for a soundbar, how do you have the space for a center channel speaker? Are you planning on placing the speaker above the fireplace/TV?  Mounted in the ceiling (not recommended)?

The speakers would be in-wall below TV (there is about 24”+/- between top of fireplace and bottom of TV) - They’d be flush against wall vs. protruding out so no worries about heat exposure as there would be on the bottom of a wall-mounted Arc. They also (in my opinion) look better aesthetically vs. a sound bar.

Also, starting playback of a Sonos source, streaming music for example, will switch the input automatically.  This is not required, as the Port can essentially just be a ‘dumb’ input to the receiver.

Does this mean there is no way to switch back to the TV as the input source without fiddling around with the receiver?

As far as left right speakers, the Port will output stereo audio, just left and right channels.  There will probably be a setting on your receiver to output stereo to rear audio channels as well.

Similar question as above - does this mean I need to adjust receiver every time I want to ensure rear (ceiling) speakers are grouped into the front for the Left/Right stereo?