Question

5.1 Beam with no HDMI ARC or 5.1 Pass through

• 25 July 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
Hi,
I have an older (2010) Samsung TV,it looks like there is no HDMI ARC, only Optical out.
Using this i only get Stereo, so my question is how do I get the full 5.1.
I have an Xbox One which I'm thinking of trying (optical out) or I've seen there HDMI splitters but there is so many out there.

Any info would be great

Netflix & normal TV usage

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi ChromeDomne

Please tell us what Sonos product you are trying to connect or thinking of purchasing (i.e. Beam, Playbar. Playbase, Sonos Amp)?

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Are you sure the program ibeing broadcast iis a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal? Is the tv sending DD, not DTS, DD+ or other 5.1 signal?
Badge
Hi ChromeDomne

Please tell us what Sonos product you are trying to connect or thinking of purchasing (i.e. Beam, Playbar. Playbase, Sonos Amp)?

Cheers!

oh sorry , I have a Beam
Badge
Are you sure the program ibeing broadcast iis a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal? Is the tv sending DD, not DTS, DD+ or other 5.1 signal?

I was trying Netflix via my Xbox One (it had the 5.1 displayed)

On my Samsung Dolby Digital is greyed out & I can't seem to change it
ChromeDome,

I can’t say if your TV supports 5.1 Dolby pass-through. You may need to check that with the manufacturers support desk to find that information, but I understand that you need to set the XboxOne to HDMI audio (assuming you are using that type of connection to the TV). Then set the format to Bitstream out, followed by setting the Bitstream format to Dolby Digital.
Userlevel 7
Hi ChromeDome

You may need to employ an audio extractor similar to the one shown in the link. Your connections would be:

1. Set Extractor to 5-channel audio
  2. HDMI from source to HDMI-In on extractor
  3. HDMI-out from extractor to HDMI-In on TV
  4. Turn off TV Internal speakers or set them to digital out or analog out
  5. Optical-out from Extractor to HDMI-In on Beam (requires using the optical convertor supplied with the Beam attached to one end of HDMI cable)
  6. Use TV remote to control volume of Beam
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extractor-Converter-Passthrough/dp/B074HHSJVN/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2CESUOUSEOIQP&keywords=hdmi+optical+audio+extractor&qid=1564064266&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+optical%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-5

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
Badge
Well I can say it definitely works using the Xbox.
Ultimately I need a new TV
It's cheaper to get one of those devices that AjTrek1 was speaking of :)

Unless you want to spend the money on a new TV!
Userlevel 7
It's cheaper to get one of those devices that AjTrek1 was speaking of :)

Unless you want to spend the money on a new TV!

Heck...I'd go for the new TV...less peripherals/clutter to deal with 😉 Budget allowing 🤔