Question

4K Blu-ray players that decode to Dolby and support Dolby vision?

• 6 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

in my quest to have both Dolby Atmos sound and the best picture quality, I have run into an issue that many others have as well - the lack of DTS support on the Arc. 

Before buying the Arc, I had a Samsung UBD K8500 connected to an LG OLED B6. With the Arc, I upgraded the TV to an LG C9 in order to utilize the eArc connection and get the best sound I could (I have the Arc paired with a sub and Play Ones for surround). 

Next up was an upgrade for the BluRay player, and I bought the Panasonic UB820, particularly for it’s DolbyVision support that the Samsung was lacking. What I didn’t realize was that the Panasonic does not decode DTS on the fly, and the majority of my 4K Blu-Rays are in DTS with no Dolby 5.1 track.

My current workaround for this is to use my Xbox One X to play blu-rays, but I feel like I am not getting the best picture I can get by not using a dedicated 4K player, and the interface is clunky.

Am I overvaluing the importance of DolbyVision and should I just go back the Samsung player, that will decode on the fly? Is there a player out there that has both DolbyVision capability AND decodes DTS on the fly?

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I know multi-channel PCM is supposedly coming in an upgrade, but it doesn’t seem like it will be anytime soon. 

I would appreciate any suggestions or discussion. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Some of what you’re looking for is in this thread.

DTS transcoders

Probably not 100% though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Just keep using the Xbox One X, it can do Dolby Vision and converts DTS. https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-enable-dolby-vision

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi

I bought a second hand Samsung M9000 and set it to transcode DTS to DD 5.1

Picture is very good and sound is also very good through ARC, However would prefer to just play DTS through the ARC. But as a compromise it is better than ditching all my DTS discs as there are many!

I’m in the same boat. LG OLED + Panasonic UB820. I wish Sonos would offer an optional paid upgrade to add licensing for DTS.