Answered

4.1 Setup with architectural speakers

• 25 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi All,

Question for the forum about a 4.1 system with two amps powering passive architectural speakers (sonance). In our family room we will have this setup, with the two fronts (and phantom center) in wall around the TV. The rear surrounds will either be ceiling or in wall surrounds.  I know the rear AMP will be effectively a slave to the front AMP, but would it make any difference to hook up both ceiling and in-wall to the “slave” AMP? I expect it may muddy the surround, but haven’t seen anything on this.

In short, would using 6 passive speakers in a 4.1 set-up (with 4 in the rear/surround) add anything or actually detract?

many thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 25 August 2021, 14:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ron Panasonic 

Thanks for your post!

I assume, if anything, it would detract - you would have twice as much output going to the rear as to the front. I don’t think it would muddy the sound, but I think it would be distracting. Additionally, I wouldn’t recommend in-ceiling speakers for surround sound anyway as the rear speakers should be roughly at head height. Having all 4 as rears would elevate the apparent source of surround sound above that of just having the in-wall speakers.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry,

thanks for the response! That makes sense. I’m trying to work around some limitations of the room, which has no back walls (open to kitchen). As such, I’m not able to use my ARC (saved for a different room). Sounds like a second pair of in walls (at ear height) may be preferable to in-ceiling. Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Ron Panasonic 

You are very welcome!