Answered

2x Play 5 Gen 1 + Playbase for Surrounds?

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

Hi folks! 

I currently have a playbase as my TV speaker. I recently chose to pick up two used Play 5 Gen 1s for my new larger room I am moving into (24 x 17) as they were the same price as Play 1s. 

I am now reading about potential surround issues for the Gen 1 Play 5s, or the only option for them to play the same audio with a delay? Are play 5 surrounds only available for the Gen 2 or is my setup feasible at al! 

If so, would the best option here would be to sell my play 5s and go for two Play 1s instead (and maybe a sub in the future)? Would this be sufficient to fill the room? (50% TV / 50% Music)

Thanks All! 

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 5 April 2020, 22:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @JBG8 

Unfortunately, Play 5 (Gen1) cannot be used as surrounds. They lack a 5Ghz network card required for Bonding. They can still be used as stand-alone speakers or in stereo pair as well being Grouped to other Sonos. Grouping a Play 5 (Gen1) to a Playbase will result in a 75ms delay.  

Play 5 (Gen2) can be used as surrounds.

I’d recommend the the Play 1’s for surround. However, I’d consider a Sonos One and Sonos One SL. The upside is they are both on sale at the Sonos website. They both sound the same and the Sonos One would add the ability to have a voice assistant (Alexa or Google voice) 

The Gen 1 Play:5 cannot be used as surrounds, it lacks the 5 GHz radios needed for surround use.  Also, the Gen 1 is soon to be legacy, and if used in your system, you will not be able to upgrade to the new S2 software coming in June.

Thanks all!

Hi @JBG8 

Unfortunately, Play 5 (Gen1) cannot be used as surrounds. They lack a 5Ghz network card required for Bonding. They can still be used as stand-alone speakers or in stereo pair as well being Grouped to other Sonos. Grouping a Play 5 (Gen1) to a Playbase will result in a 75ms delay.  

Play 5 (Gen2) can be used as surrounds.

I’d recommend the the Play 1’s for surround. However, I’d consider a Sonos One and Sonos One SL. The upside is they are both on sale at the Sonos website. They both sound the same and the Sonos One would add the ability to have a voice assistant (Alexa or Google voice) 

Quick follow up for you if you wouldn’t mind! Because i will be listening to music 50% of the time, would it be feasible to consider continuing the play 5’s as rear speakers (but not surrounds) for TV purposes? I presume this could also prevent me from buying a sub when i do want to play music across my living room.

I presume i would have to deal with the delay however? Is this delay between the playbase and rear speakers or is it between the source (TV) and the speaker system as a whole? Any potential way to reduce this?

Thanks again!

@JBG8, rear speakers and surround speakers are the same thing. You could group the Play:5s to the Playbase. However it’s possible that you’ll notice a small delay.

@JBG8, rear speakers and surround speakers are the same thing. You could group the Play:5s to the Playbase.

Thanks! I think i am a bit confused about the following comment

Unfortunately, Play 5 (Gen1) cannot be used as surrounds. They lack a 5Ghz network card required for Bonding. They can still be used as stand-alone speakers or in stereo pair as well being Grouped to other Sonos

Am i unable to use these as a stereo pair grouped to my playbase? Or does “other sonos” imply Sonos that are not a playbase.

Thank you 

In the world of Sonos bonding and grouping are different terms. You are unable to bond the Play:5s as surrounds to the Playbase but you are able to group them as stereo pair to it.

How to group rooms in the Sonos app

In the world of Sonos bonding and grouping are different terms. You are unable to bond the Play:5s as surrounds to the Playbase but you are able to group them as stereo pair to it.

How to group rooms in the Sonos app

Thanks! Is the key difference that grouping means the same sound plays on all speakers whereas bonding means that each speaker may play different, respective sounds assigned to it?

Userlevel 7

hi @JBG8 

@Smilja is correct in that rear speakers and surrounds as they relate to Sonos are the same. 

I still advise against grouping the Play 5’s to the Playbase if they are in the same room for TV Audio due to the delay mentioned earlier.

When Grouping the Play 5’s to the Playbase for Music there is no delay. So you could place the Play 5’s in the rear of the room for an enveloping sound.

Also, even if you were to switch-out the Play 5’s for Play 1’s when used a surrounds (rears) TV audio is not produced in full. Surrounds only play effects that are encoded on a surround track. 

Play:1’s used as surrounds will play as FULL stereo speakers for music when set to act as such in the Sonos app. Click the link for info on using surrounds for music playback: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4804?language=en_US

I know you want the Play 5’s to work as you would like. However, they are only good for Music playback as stand-alone speakers or in a stereo pair. They were never intended to be used as surround (rear) speakers. 

I hope this explains everything. Feel free to post with additional questions.

Cheers!

Thanks! Is the key difference that grouping means the same sound plays on all speakers whereas bonding means that each speaker may play different, respective sounds assigned to it?

Correct, a bonded speaker plays discrete channel(s) of a multi-channel signal, Left and Right for stereo, Left, Right, Center, Surround Left, Surround Right, and Subwoofer for 5.1.  

Thanks all! It looks as if the Play 1’s (or Ones)  + a sub would be the most ideal here. Certainly a bit more of an investment but given the delay I will follow the guidance given above.

Much appreciated!