Skip to main content

Why I Returned Ace and Kept Max

• 23 July 2024
  • 1 reply

If you're in the market for over-the-ear headphones and are an Apple user, you may be torn between the AirPods Max and Sonos Ace. As a devoted Sonos fan, I was excited to try out the Ace after losing my AirPods Pro. While the sound quality was impressive, I was disappointed to discover that the Ace did not work with the Sonos controller, which was a major selling point for me. Additionally, the inability to mute/unmute Teams from the headset proved frustrating. When I used the Ace as a headset with my phone, I realized just how dependent I am on the "Hey Siri" command and missed having Siri read off text messages.

In comparison, the AirPods Max provided the seamless integration into the Apple ecosystem that I was missing with the Ace. While the sound quality was comparable, the Max's ability to work perfectly with other Apple products, including Siri and Apple TV, was a game-changer.

Both headphones have their advantages and disadvantages. The Ace is lighter and comes with a great case, but the Max's "case" is much maligned. Sound quality is a tie, as is the music app experience, but the Ace's ability to connect to more than one device at once gives it an edge in Bluetooth. Battery life is pretty much a tie, but the Max's low power mode when in its “case” allows for longer periods without charging. Both headphones have acceptable noise cancellation but fall short of in-ear headphones.

Ultimately, the decision between the Ace and Max comes down to how much you value the Apple integration. As for me, I couldn't live without it, but the Ace is still an excellent option for those who don't mind being outside the Apple ecosystem.

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing your feedback and comparison. Much like you I am in the Apple ecosystem and appreciate the relatively seamless integration between the devices. Currently in the market for some decent headphones -  I really wanted to give the Ace a try but have ‘trust issues’ after this application debacle the past few months. I am sure the Ace are great but I am concerned about any ‘updates’ that Sonos pushes to any devices at this point and moving forward. You have given me the nudge to go for the AirPods Max