Skip to main content

Sonos Ace - Mic issues with Slack

Hi everyone,

Got my Ace headphones last week and really like them.

A big issue I’m having is with the microphone, specifically with Slack (I don’t seem to have this issue with teams, google meets, phone calls, etc.).

During slack calls, within a few minutes the Ace microphone seems to stop picking up audio. I’ve had several calls now where other people in the call suddenly stop being able to hear me. If I disconnect and reconnect to the call, that will usually buy me another few minutes before it happens all over again.

I’ve checked all of my macbook audio/slack audio settings, and everything is how it should be.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and/or found a way to fix it.

I think I found the issue on Mac. I just received my headphones today and attempted to use them during a few meetings and noticed the same issue. I’m running a mac, using Chime, and saw that after a few minutes the input volume on the headphones went to “zero”. You can see this in the sound setting of the mac under the output & input section. Select Input and then the headphones and you’ll see the slider incrementally move left to where there is no input volume. When this happens people can’t hear you speaking but if you increase the input volume people start to hear you again. However, this continues to happen again and again which you have to constantly adjust the input volume for people to hear you. 

I tested this by my old bose headphones and this issue did not happen. Also tested it with airpods and the issue didn’t happen. So, it’s clearly something between the Sonos headphones and the OS. 

Hope this helps and that a fix is made quickly. Without a fix these headphones are useless to me and I’ll just go buy another pair from bose or sony. 

I think I found the issue on Mac. I just received my headphones today and attempted to use them during a few meetings and noticed the same issue. I’m running a mac, using Chime, and saw that after a few minutes the input volume on the headphones went to “zero”. You can see this in the sound setting of the mac under the output & input section. Select Input and then the headphones and you’ll see the slider incrementally move left to where there is no input volume. When this happens people can’t hear you speaking but if you increase the input volume people start to hear you again. However, this continues to happen again and again which you have to constantly adjust the input volume for people to hear you. 

I tested this by my old bose headphones and this issue did not happen. Also tested it with airpods and the issue didn’t happen. So, it’s clearly something between the Sonos headphones and the OS. 

Hope this helps and that a fix is made quickly. Without a fix these headphones are useless to me and I’ll just go buy another pair from bose or sony. 

This is a good catch! I just looked at my Mac OS volume settings too, confirmed, this is the exact issue at hand. I started a Chime call with the Sonos Ace, the OS level “Input volume” is randomly decreasing a little at a time whenever I talk through the microphone. Slowly decreasing till it hits 0 volume.

+1 to this needing to be fixed, else these headphones are useless. This has not been an issue with my previous Bose headphones either. I’ve been switching to my AirPods because of how unreliable the Ace is in meetings.

Hi @dfarm3r 

That’s interesting! Could I ask you to please record a video demonstrating this behaviour, submit a support diagnostic from the Sonos app running on the Mac afterwards and get in touch with our technical support team? Thanks.