Skip to main content

Sonos pushed this out to the headphones today but without release notes. Anybody tell a difference?

Hi! I was searching for the release notes also, no luck at all. I just pushed the update in my Ace and the first thing I noticed was that the famous crackle in the right ear is gone. I did not test it long enough but I will double check it tomorrow. Other then that, no idea if something has changed haha.  

Seems a little louder as well but that's an entirely subjective reaction 

No noticeable difference for me. I didn’t suffer from the right ear static issue so can’t comment on whether that issue has been fixed or not.

Wear detection originally was flakey for me but has been working well since the last couple of updates.

Thought the volume was noticeably lower when connected via 3.5mm cable, yet to check if that changed with this update.

Really liking the Ace headphones!

Ross.

No noticeable difference for me. I didn’t suffer from the right ear static issue so can’t comment on whether that issue has been fixed or not.

Wear detection originally was flakey for me but has been working well since the last couple of updates.

Thought the volume was noticeably lower when connected via 3.5mm cable, yet to check if that changed with this update.

Ross.

Volume is still very low with a wired connection after this update. Hopefully, the next update will fix it.

Ross.

Volume is still very low with a wired connection after this update. Hopefully, the next update will fix it.

@Chrisc46 . I agree that the wired volume is still too low and hope it gets sorted soon.
I also think that a decent EQ would be a good feature for the ACE headphones moving forward.
Ross.

Others are reporting that the static/buzzing issue has been fixed with this update. If this is indeed true then well done Sonos on fixing this issue in a timely manner.
Ross.

Goodmorning all,

This is my follow up post after testing if my 2 known issues were fixed in the last firmware update. 

The issues were: 1, right ear crackle while using ANC or Aware mode. Long story short, it’s gone! 2, no sound when using the Ace with my iMac on a wired connection with the supplied Mini-Jack → USB-C cable. Also fixed! I also did a test with a 6,3mm Jack adapter to use the Ace as a reference headphone connected to my external audio interface (home studio). This also works. 

I’m happy! Thank you so much for fixing these issues Sonos. I can finally fully use my Ace for all my needs without getting crossed-eye crazy from the right ear crackle. 

Ross.

@Chrisc46 . I agree that the wired volume is still too low and hope it gets sorted soon.
I also think that a decent EQ would be a good feature for the ACE headphones moving forward.
Ross.

I fully agree with @rosswells127. It’s important for a lot of costumers to have complete control over their listening experience, shouldn't be that difficult to implement an EQ with at least a few more faders to tweek some frequencies right? For me the Ace sounds great out of the box and I am used to a honest frequency spectrum. I’m only boosting the bass a bit when I'm vibing, other than that I listen to it without EQ tweeks. 

I personally think the Ace is ‘first class’. It’s Apt-X HD Bluetooth audio and ALAC lossless wired audio is excellent, as is the ANC noise cancelling and aware modes, but my personal favourite features are the TV Audio Swap with the Sonos Arc soundbar and spatial head-tracking - I’m finding these are awesome to use with all TV audio sources. I’ve not encountered charging, or any other, issues and the Ace is certainly loud enough (cabled, or otherwise) for my old ears, I’m happy with the overall Ace sound too, using just a flat (out the box) EQ setting.

I personally think the Ace is ‘first class’. It’s Apt-X HD Bluetooth audio and ALAC lossless wired audio is excellent, as is the ANC noise cancelling and aware modes, but my personal favourite features are the TV Audio Swap with the Sonos Arc soundbar and spatial head-tracking - I’m finding these are awesome to use with all TV audio sources. I’ve not encountered charging, or any other, issues and the Ace is certainly loud enough (cabled, or otherwise) for my old ears, I’m happy with the overall Ace sound too, using just a flat (out the box) EQ setting.

@Ken_Griffiths 

Totally agree re Bluetooth audio quality and the range is also impressive! I only have Beam and Ray at present so looking forward to those soundbars supporting TV Audio Swap with a future update.

IV only hade my ace a few days but it did two updates the same day, I now have what seems to be a wind noise while in noise cancelling or transparency, anyone else had this? So fucking annoying 

The Ace have Amazing sound when connected to sound bar The volume is low and the eq needs an update 

was hoping todays update would address this 

IV only hade my ace a few days but it did two updates the same day, I now have what seems to be a wind noise while in noise cancelling or transparency, anyone else had this? So fucking annoying 

I did not hear anyone compare the known (solved?) noise with wind before. Question, is it only on the right side and does it sound a bit like having a mobile phone too close to speakers? Example, a static tu tudu tu tudu tu noise? If so, are you currently on firmware version 2.9.4.-ce71a082d? If yes, that one fixed my “noise/crackle” and so far i’ve only heard positive fixes as feedback. I really hope you don’t have an unique situation going on. 

The Ace have Amazing sound when connected to sound bar The volume is low and the eq needs an update 

I fully agree with you! 
I’m curious, do you have to crank up the volume to 100% in the cases you say the volume is low? I don’t have this experience and I would love some insight. I’ve heard the complaint before, I hope it will be fixed in a future update for the people experiencing this issue. 

Regarding the EQ, i’m not going to use it, but i really do hope they’ll add a few faders so people can personalize their sound a bit. It’s so important for headphones to create a bond with its user. A small tweak in frequency can really make a difference for some people because not all peoples hearing is the same. Example, due to loss of hearing. Different kind of events can result in losing different kind of frequencies and those users most likely would love a boost in frequency they’ve lost. 

I did not hear anyone compare the known (solved?) noise with wind before. Question, is it only on the right side and does it sound a bit like having a mobile phone too close to speakers? Example, a static tu tudu tu tudu tu noise? If so, are you currently on firmware version 2.9.4.-ce71a082d? If yes, that one fixed my “noise/crackle” and so far i’ve only heard positive fixes as feedback. I really hope you don’t have an unique situation going on. 

Hi, 

Yes in on the latest version of the update. It's definitely not a cackle I have, but after reading that the update fixed alot of this I am abit confused, can't get hold of anyone from Sonos either. Shame coz I can't use them if it's not fixed 

I fully agree with you! 
I’m curious, do you have to crank up the volume to 100% in the cases you say the volume is low? I don’t have this experience and I would love some insight. I’ve heard the complaint before, I hope it will be fixed in a future update for the people experiencing this issue. 

Regarding the EQ, i’m not going to use it, but i really do hope they’ll add a few faders so people can personalize their sound a bit. It’s so important for headphones to create a bond with its user. A small tweak in frequency can really make a difference for some people because not all peoples hearing is the same. Example, due to loss of hearing. Different kind of events can result in losing different kind of frequencies and those users most likely would love a boost in frequency they’ve lost. 

I keep volume at about 72 %, can’t wait for ace to work with ray, beam, port, roam 2 all other speakers and accessories 

Still pops, crackles and clicks… How longer you use it, how more ‘static’ plops and clicks… Very, very bad 😡

Still pops, crackles and clicks… How longer you use it, how more ‘static’ plops and clicks… Very, very bad 😡

In what situation does this happen for you? The only issue I have is when I have the Ace connected to the Arc, it sometimes has a, i suspect, a latency error and the audio gets very scrambled from half a second to sometimes 3 seconds. Is this the same for you? If so, yes, this is very bad and it takes away my concentration from whatever I’m streaming.

In every situation, iPad, iPhone, TV (LG)…

I just got the firmware 2.9.5 and again without change log.:(

This time I found something on Reddit, posted by a Sonos employee: 

We just deployed an update for Sonos Ace that specifically addresses the USB-C PD Charging issues that have been reported here (Reddit) and on the Sonos Community.

This update **also** addresses:

* Potential for garbled audio using TV Audio Swap
* Potential for audio to be missing in one earcup
* Potential for errant shutdown from battery thermal protection”

This time I found something on Reddit, posted by a Sonos employee: 

We just deployed an update for Sonos Ace that specifically addresses the USB-C PD Charging issues that have been reported here (Reddit) and on the Sonos Community.

This update **also** addresses:

* Potential for garbled audio using TV Audio Swap
* Potential for audio to be missing in one earcup
* Potential for errant shutdown from battery thermal protection”

I've had the garbled audio a couple of times, using the hardware swap button on the Ace. Good if this fixes it.

I am getting noise artefacts in both ears, particularly when on a bus going over bumps. Sounds like wind is blowing and the ANC microphones struggle, except there’s no wind.

Super annoying problem and sadly might force me to return these great headphones….. I almost exclusively use them whilst commuting on public transport.

TL;DR when in a vehicle going over bumps, noisy artefacts can be heard in both ear cups simultaneously to the bumps. 

Please fix this Sonos 😰$699 (AUD) headphones with these artefacts is driving me insane

Hi @audiophile88 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That’s an interesting report, and we’d like to look into it for you.

The next time it happens, and once you get home afterwards, please reconnect Ace to your phone, open the Sonos app, and submit a support diagnostic. Please let me know here when you have done so, but please don’t share the number given. Thanks.

Thank you Cory, I have submitted a diagnostic report.

FYI I also checked to ensure a correct seal over my ears.

Cheers