YTM does work

• 29 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,

I just set up my Sonos One, adding YouTube music and Google assistant.

It doesn’t work right at, it’s very annoying.

I say “hey google, play X by Y”

Is then plays some stupid random song I never asked for. If I look what has happened it has found some playlist (not one of mine) called “Mix X’ and started to play the first (of hundreds) on that playlist!!

Example;

I say “hey google, play blue monday by new order”

And i hear small town boy by bronski beat!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf!!

If I look in the Sonos app, I see it’s decided to play some random playlist called “Mix Blue Monday” of which smalltown boy is first track.

Btw, after I have ask it (as above)

“sure, playing blue monday on your tube music”, then plays fade to grey by visage,

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @i-want-ytm.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me help you figure this out.

You may refer to this article that is designed to help you get the best results when using the Google Assistant on Sonos. Follow these simple guidelines, and if you find that you’re still having issues, follow the troubleshooting steps.

Hopefully, that helps but if not, please submit a diagnostic report when it happens, I'd start by reviewing your system and see if there’s anything causing this issue.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Exact same issue here. Started happening around when google play went away.  Hope there’s a solution. 

So I think I may have figured out what’s going on here. I have a premium YT account added to Sonos, but it’s different than the account I am using for Google Assistant. I think when the request goes through voice (assistant) it’s using my free YT account, which can’t play specific songs, only mixes. 

I can’t see a way to fix it other than to use the premium YT account as the assistant account too.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @BladeBreak.

Thanks for your response and for the additional details.

You are correct, to play music to Sonos using the Google Assistant, you’ll need to add the same music service account to both the Google Assistant and Sonos. You need to ensure that the default music service account in your Google Assistant app and in the Sonos app is valid and supported.  The Google Assistant can play music from services like YouTube Music, thus, you will need a subscription to YouTube Music or YouTube Premium to use YouTube Music on Sonos.

To find out what music services are supported when using Google Assistant on Sonos, see our article on setting up Google Assistant.

If you have any questions,  feel free to reach out.