Spotify volume doesn't change after Google Assistant command (Arc)

• 27 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Spotify volume becomes quiet and unchangeable after I use the Google Assistant on my Arc.

I use Spotify direct cast and it will work normally (I can change the volume in Spotify app, Sonos app, or speaker volume buttons) until I use Google Assistant. Then the volume becomes quiet and I can’t change it using any method until I unplug the Arc. I can still change the volume of TV and Google Assistant voice responses, just not Spotify.

Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas how to fix?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge +17

Hi @biccboy,

If I’m understanding your post correctly, if you utter any command to Google Assistant then the volume will lower on the Arc? If so, that doesn’t sound normal. 

Please submit two system diagnostics - One while playing Spotify (before using GA), and one after a GA command. Record both of these numbers and reply with them here so I can take a look. Please also note exactly what command you gave the Google Assistant to trigger this.

Thanks James. That's correct. The Spotify volume lowers for the assistant to respond and then stays at that lowered volume until unplugged. 

I submitted some diagnostics:

Spotify working: 1801297712

Spotify volume not working after Assistant command: 1528683663

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @biccboy 

James is on holiday, but I’m happy to jump in here.

Basically, in the second diagnostic, the Arc is still listening to what it thinks is your continuing voice command and while it is doing so, the volume in the room remains what we call “ducked”. 

Assuming there aren’t noises going on near your Arc, I recommend you reboot your Arc by unplugging it from power for 10 seconds or so. I recommend waiting a minute or two after you get a solid, white light on the Arc (or once the light turns off after flashing white for a while) for the surrounds to reconnect.

Test, and if it happens again after the reboot, I recommend removing Google Assistant from the Arc and adding it back on again. See Remove a voice service and Add voice services to Sonos for steps to take.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Corry!

It does look like the Continued Conversation feature is to blame. When Continued Conversation is disabled the volume goes back to normal immediately after the query.

Removing and re-adding the assistant does not help. When I remove the assistant the volume immediately goes back to normal, but when I add it back and try another CC-enabled query it happens again.

Interestingly, this problem only seems to affect Spotify volume and not TV volume. The TV volume goes back to normal after a couple second but Spotify will never return to normal, even after 24+ hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @biccboy 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

In the meantime, I can only recommend that you disable the Continued Conversation feature for now.

Will do, thanks again!

Principally, in the alternate individual, the Arc is still harkening to what it thinks is your continuing voice command and while it's doing so, the volume in the room remains what we call “ ducked”. Removing andre-adding the adjunct doesn't help. When I remove the adjunct the volume incontinently goes back to normal, but when I add it back and try another CC- enabled query it happens again.