Answered

Sonos with google assistant not working for playing music anymore

Userlevel 1

So today I ran into an odd issue with both my Move and Roam, when I go Hey google play XXXX on Pandora. It will respond playing XXXX on Pandora, then silence. Same thing happens when I say play XXXX on YouTube music. It will response playing XXXX on YouTube music and then silence.

If I go into the app on my phone and select what to play, it will start playing on the speaker.

Losing the ability to have music play via voice command just started in the last day or so. When asking the google assistant about weather and such, it will respond as expected. It seems to be just with playing music currently.

I’ve tried rebooting the devices, no change. I removed google assistant from the Move and no difference. I’m not sure if this is stemming from a larger issue I’m having with Sonos and google assistant where when Pandora is playing I can’t use voice commands to like a song, again I need to go into the app to do this.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 May 2023, 17:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Badge

The same problem here ...

Same here. She says she's going to play it but nothing happens. I have to press play on the phone app to make it work. This has started in the last couple of days.

See this Sonos services status link (it shows there is a known issue) ;

https://status.sonos.com

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Same problem here, with Spotify as the music service.

Ask Google Assistant for any music on the Sonos speakers, it says “Sure, playing xxx from Spotify”, and then… nothing. Activity report show Google Assistant executed the command, but the speaker status in Google Home shows nothing new playing. If I tell the Sonos speaker to resume through the Google Home app, it resumes playing old content. Apparently Google Assistant is not passing the command to Spotify, but only for the Sonos speaker - the Google Home speakers and other GA speakers work fine.

Same music from Spotify selected through the Sonos app, plays normally on the Sonos speaker.

Ask a Google Home speaker to play the same music from Spotify, it plays normally.

Ask my Seiki speaker with Google Assistant to play the same music from Spotify, it plays normally.

Ask Alexa to play the same music from Spotify via redirection to the Sonos speaker in the same room group, it plays normally on the Sonos speaker.

Same problem here, with Spotify as the music service.

Ask Google Assistant for any music on the Sonos speakers, it says “Sure, playing xxx from Spotify”, and then… nothing. Activity report show Google Assistant executed the command, but the speaker status in Google Home shows nothing new playing. If I tell the Sonos speaker to resume through the Google Home app, it resumes playing old content. Apparently Google Assistant is not passing the command to Spotify, but only for the Sonos speaker - the Google Home speakers and other GA speakers work fine.

Same music from Spotify selected through the Sonos app, plays normally on the Sonos speaker.

Ask a Google Home speaker to play the same music from Spotify, it plays normally.

Ask my Seiki speaker with Google Assistant to play the same music from Spotify, it plays normally.

Ask Alexa to play the same music from Spotify via redirection to the Sonos speaker in the same room group, it plays normally on the Sonos speaker.

I’d keep your eye on the ‘status page’ mentioned above and wait for the fix to be put in place.. you will see that page get updated when it is resolved.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same problem here since a couple of days, on both my Sonos systems running on S1 receptively S2, when trying to initiate my linked services TuneIn and Spotify through the Google assistant. She responds that she will initiate the service, but nothing happens.

Same problem here as well. Not sure, but it might have started with the latest Sonos upgrade that I made recently on my system. Strange thing is that if i want Google Assistant to turn of music it works ok (music stops playing)

As Ken Griffiths stated it´s a known problem, so lets hope for a quick fix

Userlevel 1

Same here with both Spotify and Tune-in.

Bonjour Même problème en Belgique 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Ad me to the list, same thing happens with Google Assistant on  my Roam, I ask for music, says playing XXX  but nothing plays,  so frustrating and disappointing. Removing Google Assistant and re adding it again too many times  didn’t make any difference, sadly    

It’s still shown as being broken @Manu84 - see here: 

https://status.sonos.com

The Sonos status site usually updates when these things get fixed. I would maybe report the matter to Google too, as it might be an issue at their end… it might help to hurry things along (perhaps🤔?).

I have two SONOS One Gen 2 speakers.  As of a week ago, same result as others in this thread.  Ask Google Assistant to play a song; Google Assistant responds okay..but no music, just silence.  This is the same problem with YouTube Music, Spotify and Sonos Radio.  But if I switch to Alexa, everything (except YouTube Music) works normally.  No problem.  Also, no problem with asking Google for the time or weather, etc. or streaming music using my cellphone and Google Assistant.

Same here…. Sonos Move with google assistant and music. 
Although not sure, I remember Sonos had an update recently and perhaps it happened following the update. 
Anyways, super annoying. Now using airplay.

Need a fix soon.

Same here 

Hey!

Are there any updates or does anyone know when or if Google Assistant will work again? 

I have the same issues but only on Sonos One SL not my Sonos 5. I can control the volume with Google Assistant but no other commands work. Is this due to the interruption as well?

Same problem. Happened right after the automatic update. As soon as they fix their issue with an update I am turning off automatic update. Sonos fix the damm issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos is aware of the problem. It seems to affect all users. I’d say there’s no need to keep mentioning it affects you too.

Sonos is aware of the problem. It seems to affect all users. I’d say there’s no need to keep mentioning it affects you too.

I'm not joining the choir by mentioning the problem just curious if anyone happened to have heard or read anything more except for the short message about the outtake mentioned on the Sonos customers service page. :) 

This is unacceptable. The Sonos is now basically useless. It has been a few days with no solution and no explanation or ETA. I'm never buying a Sonos again

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s alway the Sonos app……

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Good to see that Sonos isn’t letting their legal battles with Google make their support response any slower than usual. :)

I would suspect it’s the other way around. Sonos feeds data to Google, then gets a response back. Sonos doesn’t ‘own’ any processing here. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

There’s alway the Sonos app……

I just give the same command to the Echo Dot sitting next to the Sonos speakers, as it plays music on the Sonos speakers in the same room group anyway. Once the stream has started, normal commands to Google Assistant on Sonos to control playback or ask what’s playing all work as usual.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I hope Sonos will fix it very soon, quite a frustrating issue :(
I have the same issue on my Sonos Beam v2, started around a week ago or so :(