Question

Sonos Amp - Google Assistant

• 19 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi,

I’ve a 4.1 setup with the new Amp, two passive speakers, 1st gen sub and 1st gen play 1s.

I am able to add google assistant in the app and it says “successfully added”. But when I call it out, the front passive speakers do not respond with a beep.

I guess my question here is, are the passive speakers supposed to work in tandem with the amp to provide voice services (google assistant, alexa)? 

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Saravanan Chetty.

Thanks for reaching out to Sonos.

Regarding your question, you will only hear the beep on the speaker directly to the device where you are giving a command to Alexa and Google voice.

Meaning only one speaker will just beep.

You may also find this support document-link worth a read.

Badge

Thanks Mark for the response.

Does that mean the speaker should be voice enabled for this to work?

Or any passive speaker linked with the amp will work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi,

I’ve a 4.1 setup with the new Amp, two passive speakers, 1st gen sub and 1st gen play 1s.

I am able to add google assistant in the app and it says “successfully added”. But when I call it out, the front passive speakers do not respond with a beep.

I guess my question here is, are the passive speakers supposed to work in tandem with the amp to provide voice services (google assistant, alexa)? 

Thanks.

I’m not sure why the Sonos employee implies you can do voice control on the amp directly. Maybe having to work too quickly since I’m hearing the laid off a bunch of support people.  

The amp has no microphone.

If you want to use voice control with your amp, you need to link it to Google Home and then use a different device with google assistant on it to initiate the voice control such as a Google Home speaker or Android phone.

Badge

That seems illogical. When I have a separate speaker with google assistant, why do I need to integrate google assistant to the amp?

I can get the voice services (google assistant or alexa) with that speaker alone. What good does the sonos amp do with google assistant integrated with it? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

That seems illogical. When I have a separate speaker with google assistant, why do I need to integrate google assistant to the amp?

I can get the voice services (google assistant or alexa) with that speaker alone. What good does the sonos amp do with google assistant integrated with it? 

The amp has no mic. You need to use a separate device with your voice assistant to control your amp with your voice. 🤷‍♀️