Sleep Timer doesn't work with Google Assistant

Userlevel 2
I just set up Google Assistant, and I'm largely happy with it, except that sleep timers don't work.

When I have spotify playing, if I say "Sleep Timer for 10 minutes", Google Assistant responds "Sleep timers can only be set when media is playing".

Is there any way to get this to work?

33 replies

Having the same issue on my new and freshly updated Sonos Move. Sad to see this critical voice feature still not working after a year of posts about it :(

+1

I luckily received a One G2 and One SL for Christmas to use in my bedroom.  Now I find that the Sleep timer doesn’t work on Google Assistant.  I guess these will now be returned.  Not sure why Sonos doesn’t get this fixed.

I luckily received a One G2 and One SL for Christmas to use in my bedroom.  Now I find that the Sleep timer doesn’t work on Google Assistant.  I guess these will now be returned.  Not sure why Sonos doesn’t get this fixed.

Apparently, Sonos doesn’t care about what users post on this community forum. By the way, one possible solution is to use an app called Olisto. In is not easy to set up, but you can create workflows that does exactly what a sleep timer does.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I cannot believe a 3 year old thread has no reply from Sonos on such a critical failure.

I have 3 Sonos devices, and every few months I switch everything from Alexa to Google and vice versa.

Nothing works perfectly on this expensive system, and Sonos doesnt seem to care or even acknowledge anything.

I used to think Sonos was great, now I actively discourage anyone to buy it, its not production ready imo, far too many bugs that dont get fixed.

I cannot believe a 3 year old thread has no reply from Sonos on such a critical failure.

I have 3 Sonos devices, and every few months I switch everything from Alexa to Google and vice versa.

Nothing works perfectly on this expensive system, and Sonos doesnt seem to care or even acknowledge anything.

I used to think Sonos was great, now I actively discourage anyone to buy it, its not production ready imo, far too many bugs that dont get fixed.

What bugs? Do you perhaps mean some user-requested features? Not everything is doable or worth the development costs, or maybe some ‘partners’ may not want to play ball.

There is certainly no doubt that both Amazon and Google reserve certain features for their own hardware. An ‘enabled’ device such as a Sonos speaker does not mean full feature compatibility. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

What bugs? Do you perhaps mean some user-requested features? Not everything is doable or worth the development costs, or maybe some ‘partners’ may not want to play ball.

How about the bug this thread is about?  Setting a sleep timer to have the music turn off after X minutes, and then instead getting an alarm at that time, and the music still keeps playing anyway?

How about setting an alarm via GA, and Sonos tells you the alarm is set for 2 hours earlier, even if that time has actually already passed (as I raised in another thread)?

Neither of those are classed as user requested features, they are features that do not work right and should be fixed for a retail product.  Customers are not beta testers, but even if they were, at least beta gets fixed with other products.

If GA doesn’t play nicely with Sonos, and Sonos don’t want to fix it, the they should remove GA and stop advertising it as a Sonos speaker feature.