Answered

Only one Mic works on a stereo pair of ones with Google assistant?

Show first post

30 replies

Hello ratty, your right. It works the way you mentioned. It works. It’s definitely better in my situation. Thanks so much.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I just got my 2nd Sonos One (a gen2) and added it to a stereo pair with my first (a gen1). Worked ok the first time around, but then I thought since only one speaker is allowed to have the voice assistant, I should put it on the gen2 with the faster processor, which was initially on the right. So should be easy-peasy, right? Just unpair, re-pair, and this time press the button on the gen2 when asked to designate the left speaker. I can swap them physically.

Not so much. It turns out that most of what you read above is wrong. It is NOT the left speaker that gets the voice assistant in a pair, it is the one that had Google Assistant assigned to it first. In my case, the gen1, whether I designate it left or right. So I had to unpair again, remove Google Assistant from both, re-add Google Assistant to the gen2, re-pair, the change the name because now it has the wrong name. Ugh! What a mess.

Wouldn't it be great if you could have Google Assistant on one and Alexa on the other?
+1 on this - the mic should be enabled on both speakers. Seems like a big miss.
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE THAT GOOGLE ASST ONLY WORKS ON MY LEFT SPEAKER 20 FEET AWAY FROM MY KITCHEN!!!!!! $2,000 SPEAKER IS UPSETTING US
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE THAT GOOGLE ASST ONLY WORKS ON MY LEFT SPEAKER 20 FEET AWAY FROM MY KITCHEN!!!!!! $2,000 SPEAKER IS PISSING US OFF.

You can switch it to the right speaker, either in software, or just swap the speakers physically if you don't care which is left/right for music. You just can't have both at once.