Answered

New bug: Hey Google, what's playing? Nothing is playing

• 6 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Until recently, when I was playing one of my Sonos playlists on my Sonos One stereo pair with GA, I could ask “Hey Google, what’s playing”, and it would tell me the song title and artist. Yesterday I noticed that it now responds “Nothing is playing”, even though it is of course playing my Sonos playlist.

I have an Echo Dot in the same room that has the Sonos pair set as its default music output. If I ask “Alexa, what’s playing?”, it automatically knows that I mean the Sonos speakers, and it tells me the song title and artist as usual.

So, looks like another new bug between Google and Sonos...

icon

Best answer by Corry P 8 February 2021, 13:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Doug Ames 

That seems to be more of a communication issue than a bug. If a reboot of your Sonos speakers and router (turn on speakers after internet comes back) doesn’t help this issue, you can try removing the Sonos account from Google Home app and adding it again. Google Home » + (top left corner) » Set up a device » Works with Google » Sonos » Unlink Account. Add the Sonos account again from the same screen.

If that doesn’t help either, you can also try removing Sonos from Google Home again, then remove Google Assistant from the Sonos room. Sonos app » Settings » Service & Voice » Google Assistant » [room name] » Remove Google Assistant. Once removed, add Google Assistant again from Voice & Services » Add a Voice Assistant.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

After persisting for 2 days, the problem went away and normal behavior resumed.

Clearly it was not a communication issue. The Sonos speakers and Google Home were both communicating just fine throughout the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Glad to hear you fixed it

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Glad to hear you fixed it

But I didn’t fix it. I just waited a few days and the problem resolved itself. Most likely somebody at Sonos or Google fixed it, either on purpose or accidentally.

We poor users just report this stuff. :blush:

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

This problem continues to come and go at random. About 80% of the time if I ask Google what’s playing on my Sonos speaker pair, it tells me. About 20% of the time it says that “nothing is playing”. I can look at the Sonos app to see what’s actually playing. I just wait anything from a few hours to a few days, and the problem goes away again.