Answered

How to play a specific radio station using Google Assistant?

• 7 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Google Assistant on Sonos works great for me in almost al cases. There is, however, one case in which it doesn’t work that great.

My favorite Radio Station is the Dutch station NPO Radio 2. If I ask Sonos “Hey Google, play Radio 2” it always starts the ‘wrong’ station Radio 2 UAE (via TuneIn). Even if I ask it more specifically, “Hey Google, play NPO Radio 2”, the same, wrong station is played.

The NPO Radio 2 station is available (next to many other Radio 2 stations) via the Sonos Radio service.

Question:

Is there any way to play a particular radio station in case of such ambiguity?

Or, on other words, is there a way to let the Sonos/Google system know that, when I ask to play radio 2, I want the system to play the particular Dutch radio station NPO Radio 2?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 7 November 2022, 20:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Take a look at this thread on the Dutch language community:

https://nl.community.sonos.com/google-assistent-en-sonos-229111/sonos-speelt-geen-npo-radio2-maar-een-andere-radio2-uitzending-6774498

Duur66 schreef:

Wat bij mij werkt is in de Google home app een routine maken van speel mijn favoriete zender af.  Als actie type je de netrequentie in dan de zender die je wilt horen.

Dit werkte bij mij. De netfrequenties van Radio 2 vind je hier: https://www.nporadio2.nl/frequenties

Ik moest er een paar proberen voor ik toch Radio 2 kreeg. “Hey, Google. Speel mijn favoriete radiozender!”

Thanks @106rallye! That’s very useful information.

Hi,

For anyone stumbling on this google voice control issue with NPO radio 2. The above workaround fixed my issue. I have created a routine in the google home app. The starter is 'zet de radio aan' the action is play media/ listen to radio. For the channel don't use the name but insert the 'tunein' frequency instead. For NPO radio 2 this is 92.6 (Just google 'tunein frequency {{your radio station}}', this is not typically the same as your local FM frequency). Now my favorite station is played by using the command 'hey google zet de radio aan' )

In the end Sonos should fix this with google. As only their equipment seems to have this issue. My other google enabled speakers Just work by using 'hey google speel af npo radio 2'

Until they do, hope this helps. KR arjen

('Zet de radio aan' is shorter ;))