Software News

Google Assistant Voice Match Available on Sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Retired Sonos Staff
  • 12372 replies

Through cloud updates, Google Assistant has added the ability to set up Voice Match on voice enabled Sonos devices. This feature has rolled out to all households where Google Assistant is available.

Voice Match allows you to teach the Google Assistant to recognize your voice. If you have multiple people using the Google Assistant on Sonos, you can set up Voice Match to provide user-specific responses and content based on who is speaking.

This enables personalized results for the person asking Google Assistant questions. For more information about Voice Match, see the Google article here

Here are the steps to enable Voice Match straight from the Google article linked above:

Link your voice

To use Voice Match, you must link a Google Account to the Google Assistant device. If you have multiple Google Accounts, you can choose which account you want to use.

1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Google Home app Google Home.

2. At the bottom, tap Home Home and then Settings Settings.

3. Under "Google Assistant services," tap More settings.

4. Tap Assistant  and then Voice Match and then Add devices.

5. Follow the steps.

When you link your voice and use the Google Assistant in US English, the Google Assistant automatically acknowledges when you ask it for something politely.

27 replies

At least for the Sonos Beam this is working for me. I can add the device to both voice matches.

Maybe it is a limitation with the Roam.

My GF can ask her personal calender aswell as Spotify and I can control mine.

Took me the longer part of the day to make it work but I cannot remember what exactly I did different.

Badge

@digaus  thanks for your replies…

I have now managed to get two Google Assistants working on three Sonos devices in our "Home".  It took me hours of removing/resetting things and starting over before it eventually worked. Annoyingly, I don't know how, or what I did differently to get it working - it was not a smooth process! 

So Google Assistant can now 'Voice Match' and it gives us personalised results on multiple Sonos devices. But no thanks to the lack of instructions from Sonos. 

However, we still have a problem with controlling devices in our Google Home. For example: when sat in our living room, if I ask 'Assistant' to "turn on the lights", it will turn on the lights in just the living room. But if my wife gives the same command 'Assistant' turns on all the lights in the entire household. She has to give the specific command, "turn on the living room lights". 

But this is probably a Google Assistant/Home issue rather than a Sonos one.