Google Assistant responding but not doing anything

Hi,

My Google Assistant has suddenly stopped playing any requested tracks/radio stations. When the command is given the assistant responds in a positive way stating the correct track, station or playlist, but then nothing plays.

I have disconnected the Assistant and reconnected but nothing.

The Roam is playing tracks from the S2 app with no issues 

106rallye 1 year ago

Could it be the problem described here?

Google Voice Assistant - Playback Failure - Full playback failure

Identified - We've identified a problem with Google Assistant, voice requests to control Sonos and play music will likely fail, please use the Sonos app. 
Apr 24, 2023 - 14:30 UTC”

https://status.sonos.com

View original

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

“Sonos has identified that there is a technical issue between Sonos and Google Voice Assistant service. We are actively investigating the issue with our partners at Google in order to implement a fix. As of this time, we do not have an ETA.”

Maybe not what you want to hear, but it seems honest to me.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I agree with previous comments, Sonos is turning in to an unreliable partner for customers as I've not been able to find any substantiating information on Google's website confirming said outage. Why is Sonos implying that the outage is with Google? On who's end is the issue with? Sonos or Google. Also, why isn't Sonos updating clients on an expected fix or estimated time to fix. I'll never ever use Sonos' proprietary voice assistant. Besides, I signed up with the full and reasonable expectation and promise as advertised that Sonos' voice enabled speakers work with Google Voice Assistant as my home is a Google home. When is this going to be fixed as I rely on Google Assistance to function all of my Sonos speakers and most other smart products in my home. I have no desire to use the Sonos app just to play music.

Userlevel 3
Badge

No, Sonos is not down. However, it appears that the server that Google has dedicated to the Google Voice Assistant process for Sonos is experiencing difficulties. 

Who's server, Sonos' or Google's? I doubt seriously Google has a dedicated server for any non Google product.

Userlevel 3
Badge

There has been no upgrade to disable GA. There is an outage on GA at the moment though, see https://status.sonos.com, maybe that is what you’re experiencing? I have not read this was caused by an update on the Sonos side of things. Asking for a refund after three days of seeing an admitted fault is a bit much, too.

Reding in this fault a set up by Sonos to move you to SVC seems a bit paranoid to me.

I share your sentiment that Sonos’ move away from Google Assistant on the Era speakers is a bad decision, especially for people who do not speak one of the “Big Five” languages. Like Dutch, also my native language, since neither Alexa, nor SVC is available in Dutch, if that is what you mean. I understand though that you can still command the Era’s with a Nest Mini.

I think you’re wrong about the S1/S2 split. The (ultimate, it must be said) decision to keep supporting S1 systems, affecting people with systems more than fifteen years old, was to be applauded. The choice to split to an S2 version seemed technically unavoidable.

You could give in to Google by buying a couple of Nest Mini’s, though admittedly that would be no solution for the Roam. Not need to sell the IKEA’s.

How do you know there's been no upgrade to disable GA? I've not been able to find any information on a GA outage from Google. Please, enlighten is all with your vast and intimate knowledge on this subject by transparently providing the exact source of your information backing up your claims. Thank you.

Google’s server, yes. Sonos does not have a server that runs Google’s software. Sonos passes your voice command to a Google server, and then Sonos receives and processes the data to act on from Google.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So, for over a week, a Sonos feature that has worked for years all of the sudden no longer works, and Sonos’ only response to its customers is “we know there is an issue and keep checking https://status.sonos.com/?”

Unacceptable.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

So, for over a week, a Sonos feature that has worked for years all of the sudden no longer works, and Sonos’ only response to its customers is “we know there is an issue and keep checking https://status.sonos.com/?”

Unacceptable.  

Totally agree! The Google Assistant feature was the main advertised selling point of this product that affected my decision to purchase Sonos products. If they're unable to fix issue in a timely manner (which is starting to look like they're incapable of doing), I will be filing a legal claim against Sonos, not Google.

Userlevel 1

Can someone from Sonos remove the ‘Answered’ tag?   Simply saying we can check the Sonus Status page is not an answer.  It’s just confirming what we already know!

What we need to know is if a fix is in the works and when we can expect it to be implemented.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Google’s server, yes. Sonos does not have a server that runs Google’s software. Sonos passes your voice command to a Google server, and then Sonos receives and processes the data to act on from Google.

There's no information on Google's website to corroborate your claim. Isn't it possible that Sonos made their voice enabled products to not be non-upgradable with third party software? Specifically, making their products compatible with Google's Voice Assistant is the main advertised feature of their voice enabled products. Says it right on the outside of the box - a primary factor that affected my decision to purchase any of their voice enabled products. If not fixed within 30 days, will be filing a legal warranties claim against Sonos... sending all of my equipment back to Sonos directly. Am simply not going to tolerate this sort of nonsense or inaction on their part. This issue should've been fixed within 24 hours... is now dragging on to beyond 7 days.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can someone from Sonos remove the ‘Answered’ tag?   Simply saying we can check the Sonus Status page is not an answer.  It’s just confirming what we already know!

What we need to know is if a fix is in the works and when we can expect it to be implemented.

100% agree. This is just a tool to shut down comment, discussion and further, more in-depth questions.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn there is some googles doing in that. Trial in 4 days right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@H-Town_Leo Sorry, but you do sound a bit paranoid.

The problem is not solved until it is solved. What information would you want? How do you know there’s been no action by Sonos?

Seems to be working today. Finally!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Mine has not responded to GA when asking to play an artist or song.  It would act like it was going to play “the Beatles” and state that, but then do nothing.  Now it says”Sorry it looks like Spotify Premium is not currently available, please try again later”  Is that progress and/or do I need to “link” Spotify?  It currently is linked and I can play spotify music using the Spotify app on my phone, but GA won’t play it with my voice command.  Thoughts?

Having rebooted and set up system again.

GA tells me something has gone wrong with Sonos system when trying to play music, basically not working same as original fault . 

Well… talked to the support and one thing is clear: They dont want to hear this problem and they dont do anything aput it. Google Assistant nearly sucks complete on Sonos Move and i see that Sonos is not interessted in fixing this. Thanks for nothing…. 

Bad! Very bad!