Google assistant: I can't do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices Sonos

Userlevel 2
Hi there just set up google assistant on my sonos 5.1 and two other sonos ones.

Setup was smooth, but after installation, it gives the following reply whenever I ask Hey google to play music/ spotify etc.

My google music services is the same spotify account as my sonos default. same for the sonos device setting.

I can skip track, pause, stop music once I've launched spotify from my phone etc.

Hope someone can help 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Nivamir.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 1

Hello everyone,

I just had the same issue and it started to drive me crazy. My BF and I started to check for solutions and we found the one below that has resolved everything. 

Just a little recap first on my specific situation:

I had my Sonos 1 set up with Sonos 1 app. Everything worked fine for months. Then, suddenly, it was bugging and it was not really responding to my commands. 

So, we decided to reset my Sonos 1. After doing that, Sonos told us to download the new SONOS S2 app, which we did. I then linked it to my Google Assistant. That is when I started to have the problem of Google assistant saying : I can't do that here but you can ask me to play it on one of your other devices Sonos

The issue was that I had 2 devices linked to Google Assistant, therefore Google assistant was confused. 

So, the solution that resolved everything has been:

Go to Google assistant app (I didn’t have the GAP so I had to install it to resolve this). 

Then, scroll down to Assistant Devices. I noticed that 2 devices were linked. The first one was when I had Sonos S1 app and the second device was set up with Sonos S2 app. So, I went to the device with Sonos S1 and unlinked it. The device then disappeared from the list. And, only my setting with Sonos S2 app remained. 

Since then, everything works. 

Hope it will help you!

Happy Holidays :)

French American Beat's solution worked for me too.