Answered

Google Assistant and Apple Music

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I got Deezer and Spotify working with the sonos and google assistant. But when I try to have my sonos play apple music. It said playing apple music then a few second later it saids apple music is not supported by sonos. Only way to play apple music right now is still with the app. Is this normal?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 14 May 2019, 22:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Apple Music is most certainly NOT supported by Google Assistant, neither native on Google Home nor on Sonos.
From: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

You can use the following music services with the Google Assistant on Sonos:
  • Deezer
  • Google Play Music
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Music

You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app:
  • iHeartRadio
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn Radio
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
From: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

You can use the following music services with the Google Assistant on Sonos:
  • Deezer
  • Google Play Music
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Music
You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app:
  • iHeartRadio
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn Radio

Thanks, hope they will one day add apple music. Until then, I will just launch my apple music content with yonomi.
Badge
Generally speaking, Apple uses DRM encryption technology to encode the tracks on Apple Music. Therefore, you can only play those protected streams on authorized devices which don't include Google Home. But there's still ways to stream apple music to google home. Working though a bit troublesome.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
@CiderPunk
I always knew that someone will figure out how to stream Apple Music to a Google Home speaker.
Now that it's here, I think I will pass. lol

The incompatibility is the only reason I'm using Spotify over Apple Music.
It worked when I had Alexa on my Beam but I prefer GA though
Badge
@Ravica3
Yeah, Apple is somehow notorious for its closed ecosystem.
I myself use Spotify, too.
But there are some songs exclusively on Apple Music. So someone figure this way out.
Apple Music is limited on Apple ecosystem, so it is very difficult to play apple music on Google Home Assistant unless you get rid of the protection from all your Apple Music files.

I currently use a streaming music convert that transform the songs to MP3. After that, I can upload the songs to Google Play for Google Home.

Why can I choose Apple Music (says limited) on sonos one google control but it says account not linked.  Sirius too?  When will this change?

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Phishflyer

I know you're eager for news and eagerly awaiting any announcement or details from us. I don't have an official statement for you on support for the use of Apple Music with Google Assistant on Sonos.

I think it's important to remember that we do not have anything to do with features both supported and unsupported on this platform. As Google Assistant is owned by Google, supported features and services would be decided by Google.

We have included Apple Music in the request to our teams. We do not have any timeline to share on when or if these changes will be made.

Userlevel 1

I’d like to try Google Assistant because I’m considering a Nest Hello doorbell and Nest Outdoor Camera and the integration appears more complete than that with Alexa.

Sadly changing the service on my Sonos to Google Assistant means I lose the ability to play my Apple Music subscription.

Given that the Sonos is primarily a music system and secondarily a smart home device, this make Google Assistant a non starter for me  (and I would presume) other Apple Music subscribers.

On top of that, there are many ways to stream Apple Music on Sonos. To understand this better, we’ve compiled a list of the top 4 most popular methods to play Apple Music on Sonos even when you canceled the Apple Music subscription.

You can play Apple Music on Sonos via Sonos Controller, Alexa, or AirPlay. By using them, you can connect your Apple Music to your Sonos, then listen to Apple Music on Sonos.

But if you want to continue to play Apple Music on Sonos after you cancel your Apple Music subscription, you could use an Apple Music Converter. Tunelf Audio Converter can help you extract songs from Apple Music, then you can keep forever for listening.

I just purchased the Sonos Arc and I am using the Goggle Assistant AI and have it as my default with google mini and Apple HomePod and mini home pod. Unfortunately it is not supported with the Sonos Arc. I notified Sonos and they tried to help me with this issue and defaulted to me calling Google Home to see what the problems is. Anyone having this problem with the new Sonos Arc using the Goggle assistant AI? Not supporting Apple Music? Need help? Is there a firmware update? This really **cks if I can’t have my AI play my Apple Music subscription. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.