Answered

google assistant and apple music

• 14 May 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge +12
I got Deezer and Spotify working with the sonos and google assistant. But when I try to have my sonos play apple music. It said playing apple music then a few second later it saids apple music is not supported by sonos. Only way to play apple music right now is still with the app. Is this normal?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 14 May 2019, 22:07

From: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3490?language=en_US

You can use the following music services with the Google Assistant on Sonos:
  • Deezer
  • Google Play Music
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Music

You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app:
  • iHeartRadio
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn Radio
View original

8 replies

Apple Music is most certainly NOT supported by Google Assistant, neither native on Google Home nor on Sonos.

• Deezer
  • Google Play Music
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Music

You can ask your Google Assistant to play music from the following services on Sonos, but they can’t be directly added to your Google Assistant app:
  • iHeartRadio
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn Radio
Deleted. Beaten again by jgatie 🙂
Badge +12

• Deezer
  • Google Play Music
  • Pandora
  • Spotify
  • YouTube Music
  • iHeartRadio
  • TIDAL
  • TuneIn Radio

Thanks, hope they will one day add apple music. Until then, I will just launch my apple music content with yonomi.
Badge
Generally speaking, Apple uses DRM encryption technology to encode the tracks on Apple Music. Therefore, you can only play those protected streams on authorized devices which don't include Google Home. But there's still ways to stream apple music to google home. Working though a bit troublesome.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
@CiderPunk
I always knew that someone will figure out how to stream Apple Music to a Google Home speaker.
Now that it's here, I think I will pass. lol

The incompatibility is the only reason I'm using Spotify over Apple Music.
It worked when I had Alexa on my Beam but I prefer GA though
Badge
@Ravica3
Yeah, Apple is somehow notorious for its closed ecosystem.
I myself use Spotify, too.
But there are some songs exclusively on Apple Music. So someone figure this way out.
Apple Music is limited on Apple ecosystem, so it is very difficult to play apple music on Google Home Assistant unless you get rid of the protection from all your Apple Music files.

I currently use a streaming music convert that transform the songs to MP3. After that, I can upload the songs to Google Play for Google Home.