#featurerequest adjust audio ducking when using Google Assistant

• 16 November 2020
  • 2 replies

I just got a Beam and the audio ducking when using Google Assistant is quite annoying. I understand that any currently playing media will have its volume lowered so you can hear the response of the Assistant, but this goes on for far too long after the Assistant has finished speaking. This also means it’s listening for additional commands, so it picks up any conversation during this period and tries to search for whatever is said which is frustrating. 

I wish there was a way in the Sonos app to adjust this. I used to use a Google Home Mini which would duck the audio for the response, but then crank it back up to where it was as soon as it had finished speaking. If it can be accomplished on a device that is far, far cheaper than the Beam, then I’m sure Sonos can make it work. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nathanmiah.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

We highly appreciate your feedback and requests for it can be used to make Sonos a more intuitive system.

While we don't have any specific details that I can share around if this can come to Sonos, or when it might, I'll make sure to pass this along with the team.

It would always be best to let both sides know if there's a feature you're looking for, so I suggest reaching out to Google as well to let them know about the feature you’re looking for.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues,  please do not hesitate to reach out, we’re always here to help.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I have a similar problem, but unlike the OP, I actually like the ducking feature on all speakers.

The problem is, when using a Google Nest Mini to control a Sonos Five for instance, the volume on the Five doesn’t duck when you’re speaking to the Google Assistant on the Nest Mini.

This works with Google’s own speakers, the Assistant on a voice-enabled Sonos speaker and when using an Echo Dot to control the Five, but not when using the Nest Mini to control it.

Please fix this, as the Assistant on the Nest Mini has trouble hearing me when there’s music playing on the Sonos speaker, and I just end up shouting at it, trying to be heard.