Answered

Cannot get Google Assistant to play music from Spotify

• 2 January 2020
  • 4 replies

I have had 2 Play:1 speakers for a while and have been controlling them with an Echo Dot. I added a Sonos One and decided to move to all Google Home devices after reading Sonos finally integrated with Google. 

I added the Google Assistant as a Voice Service in the Sonos app. The Sonos One now answers to ‘hey Google’ and all 3 of my Sonos speakers showed up in the Google Home app. I can get music to play from Amazon on any of my Sonos devices using the Sonos One or any Google Home device. However I cannot get music to play from Spotify (the default). It says ‘sure’ and ‘here you go’ but nothing happens.

I called Sonos and was told there was currently a known issue but not seeing anything on https://status.sonos.com/

Anyone have any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Rupes 16 January 2020, 23:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Did you figure out a fix? This happens to me randomly with Alexa but I think fixes itself after a while which really sucks because sometimes it’s weeks. Sonos has been useless with helping with this in the past. Right now it’s happening and I can trigger anything through the skills. Triggering Spotify will say “Here is Spotify” followed by silence and asking for rain sounds gives confirmation sound and then silence 

I don’t have a fix yet. Have a call with Sonos on the 16th. 

I used to use Alexa for this and that worked fine. I moved to the Google Assistant and have not been able to get it to work. This is not an intermittent issue. I hope once I get it working it is reliable as Alexa was for me. 

Sonos support helped me get to the bottom of the issue. Turns out it was a very specific issue.

• If I say to a Google Home Device “Hey Google play Jazz from Spotify” I get “Alright here is your Spotify playlist called Jazz” and it works. It plays the Jazz Vibes playlist. 
  • If I say to my Sonos One “Hey Google play Jazz from Spotify” I get “OK playing the Spotify playlist called Jazz” and then nothing happens.
  • If I say to my Sonos One “Hey Google play Jazz Vibes from Spotify” it works.
  • If I say to a Google Home Device “Hey Google play Rock from Spotify” I get “OK here is a Spotify playlist called Rock Classics” and it works.
  • If I say to my Sonos One “Hey Google play Rock from Spotify” is says “OK playing the Spotify playlist called Rock Classics” and it works!

Weirdly all my previous testing had been with “Play Jazz”.

Has anyone figured out how to make it work with Google assistant? I am currently having the same issues mentioned above.