Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Show first post

2311 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

The new app is awful. I actually like the layout but it is simply not fit for purpose right now. It’s so slow to display content. Does not always connect to my Stereo pair of Play:1s and when it does it takes several seconds to change volume or track. Leave it playing and then open the app again to change a song and the app shows the song that was playing when the app was last used and does not actually keep up with what song is actually playing from the speakers. Then you can’t stop playing as no controls work.

Sorry but whatever the Sonos CEO says about this app means he is out of touch with his customers and clearly does not understand how flawed it is currently. This is totally broken and needs fixing. It’s not about users having to get used to a new app, it’s about getting the fundamental testing done properly before launching it in the first place!

I agree fully with most of the feedback, the new app is simply awful.

Why can't I line up songs to play next? Why can't I find the artists page with similar artists etc? Why is it so damn difficult to actually search? The whole app, its roll out, well It's a complete mess and  I'm going to go back to my original play 5 which is on S1 app and works wonderfully, until Sonos sort this debacle.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

The new app is awful. I actually like the layout but it is simply not fit for purpose right now. It’s so slow to display content. Does not always connect to my Stereo pair of Play:1s and when it does it takes several seconds to change volume or track. Leave it playing and then open the app again to change a song and the app shows the song that was playing when the app was last used and does not actually keep up with what song is actually playing from the speakers. Then you can’t stop playing as no controls work.

Sorry but whatever the Sonos CEO says about this app means he is out of touch with his customers and clearly does not understand how flawed it is currently. This is totally broken and needs fixing. It’s not about users having to get used to a new app, it’s about getting the fundamental testing done properly before launching it in the first place!

The problem is that only a small percentage of us are on this forum, leading him to use the excuse that the number of dissatisfied users is a small percentage. This is what he is telling the reporters. I’m sure all users are frustrated as hell, but don’t know about, or don’t care about using this forum. Convenient way for the Spence man to downplay the true amount of anger and frustration of his soon to be former customers.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Time for a class action suit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Finally, someone willing to step up and put a class action law suit in place. Well done you. Let us know your lawyer details, the specific laws under which you have been assured this suit can be pursued (ie the specifics around which laws this app release contravenes), whether it applies in every US state and every country Sonos operates in, the potential costs on a sliding scale of how many people you secure to participate in pursuing the case, an expected timeframe for gathering evidence (and how people should submit their evidence) through to a court hearing through to punitive damages outcome, and so forth. All very exciting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The problem is that only a small percentage of us are on this forum, leading him to use the excuse that the number of dissatisfied users is a small percentage. This is what he is telling the reporters. I’m sure all users are frustrated as hell, but don’t know about, or don’t care about using this forum. Convenient way for the Spence man to downplay the true amount of anger and frustration of his soon to be former customers.

So make sure that you post on other social media. There are a number of us on LinkedIN posting in response to their posts promoting Ace. 

Using IOS on and Ipad I must say this is the worst upgrade.  Sonos needs restore to the old app until they get their act together!  14 Sonos speakers throughout my property and barely able to control, lose connectivity to one or more speakers just as with the old app but now have to re-add one at a time or the app crashes, constantly am quitting the app and restarting because it says that my current speaker selection has no content even when playing, sonos net has disappeared, can not access my playlists, barely able to even enjoy my system, total exercise in frustration, so far I have seen nothing to praise that is heralded by Sonos as the greatest update ever… too much money invested to change but If I had one or two speakers I would currently be looking other places.

I Can’t believe in today's world a company would roll out a new application without a plan to roll back in case of too many issues.   I have three I phones running Sonos controller two.  I upgrade one an found out how bad the app was, such as missing options, how drastically different the new version was and difficult it is to use after using the previous two apps. 

I purposely did not upgrade the other two devices.   However, the new app was pushed to the devices and now I have three devices that have crappy service from SONOS.

My consideration to buy more product in the future is now on hold and I have stopped recommending the product to new homeowners and friends.  Why you might ask, I can no longer trust SONOS to do the right by its customers. 

I work with many seniors, that love the product, however many of them have now given up on using their systems because they cannot figure out the new APP.

Why to go SONOS.   

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I don’t know how to start a class action suit, but will be sooooo happy to join in!!! There is clearly damage easily proved based on rendering millions of dollars worth of equipment worldwide useless or impaired to a large degree.

Userlevel 1

Two words: Aw Ful   The new app has caused me hours of frustration.  How do you get to screen that shows all of you rooms and easily choose which room(s) you want.  Mine defaults to the first room and i have been through the routine 100 times...so sick and tired of Sonos...just let us keep what we had.  Can I get back to the old app?  When you get this one fixed, user interface to be simple, maybe I’ll come back...and please give us an option to NOT HAVE Sonos ads.  I will refuse to buy your headphones as no way will i wear your logo.  Long time Sonos user...and upgraded all the original equipment which is absurd

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Glad everyone at Sonos enjoyed a nice long holiday weekend while we were left with non functional systems. Hopefully back to work on Tuesday right? Right??!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Finally, someone willing to step up and put a class action law suit in place. Well done you. Let us know your lawyer details, the specific laws under which you have been assured this suit can be pursued (ie the specifics around which laws this app release contravenes), whether it applies in every US state and every country Sonos operates in, the potential costs on a sliding scale of how many people you secure to participate in pursuing the case, an expected timeframe for gathering evidence (and how people should submit their evidence) through to a court hearing through to punitive damages outcome, and so forth. All very exciting.

Luckily Sonos has the data aspect, and customer base component covered but agree it will be a hassle to coordinate but will 100% happen and/or customers will be compensated in other ways. Last time they tried to pull the wool over customers got 15% off all their product for eternity. This situation is far worse. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The app is terrible. I can’t remember the last time I saw anything go from good to this bad. How did it get out of testing? This isn’t even beta, it’s like early alpha. Bugs and lost functionality aside, the UI is so confusing. My family hate it and can’t use it, so user-unfriendly, and on that basis alone I will be getting rid of all my Sonos gear. What was pleasure to use is now junk janky and annoying. When it works. 

But the worst thing is the way Sonos have handled this, which is arrogant and insulting to your customers. The CEO is in a world of his own, and ‘courageous’?. I know what courage is, and this isn’t it. 

Userlevel 1

Long time forum lurker, and a long time user of Sonos.  My friend was in the initial tests for Sonos, and I was hooked by him.

I have loved Sonos for a long time.  In fact, I just bought my mom a big Sonos setup for her new house (what can I say, I try to be a good son), which she _loved_ until recently.

Talking to her the other day, she remarked how she disliked the new app.  “Can’t find anything” she said, and asked what happened.  She is in her late 70s, and loved the old app.

But you know what gets me the most about it?  It makes me feel that it’s treating me like I’m dumb.

I liked the fact that when I adjusted volume in a group, the old app showed me the individual levels of individual zones beneath.  I liked easy access to line-in sources (which I use).  I liked that it was technical enough that it jived well with me, and how I would organize things.  There were always some annoying things about it (searching through your library was kind of terrible in that you could only select the first letter of the artist/album, then scroll from there...), but it was much better than this.

In an age of absolutely terrible UX, and horrible and inconsistent UI, Sonos was a holdout.  No longer.

Until this is fixed, Sonos has moved a notch down on my rating scale.  It’s no longer awesome.  It’s just good.

Which is sad to see from a product I’ve loved since inception.  I hope they take some feedback and work on this, and bring Sonos back to the gold standard it once was.

Plyme - you mute be realising how to pilot test IT - I have a speaker making a

noise again. shame there is no volume control. 
I won’t mention the list of errors as it too long. Mimicking the post office many times over 

Userlevel 1

I want to throw all my Sonos in the bin! 
new app makes it impossible to use!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

And it’s happened- I can no longer play anything because they are forcing me to update the app. Thus I call tech support tomorrow - whom ever answers the phone -  sigh - I have to remember it’s not them - I’m on the verge of putting every Fing speaker, sub, sound bar, amp et al on marketplace. I work part-time at BB - I just told some of the blue shirts DO NOT SELL SONOS until they’ve gotten there all together. I sell a TON of SONOS products. Not anymore - This is BS - 

EDIT - just sent an email to Karen Weise at NY Times. She is a technology reporter. Why her? Because she’s the email address I found hoping she’d listen. Somebody has to hear this. I feel ignored. 

Please bring back the numerical value above the volume control slider handle (or display the numerical value in another way). I use specific volume levels at certain times during the day or with certain albums. Without seeing the numeric value, I need to guess that I’m at the right level, or go back in a fiddle when it’s not quite right. This is also an accessibility optimization. Thank you!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

And it’s happened- I can no longer play anything because they are forcing me to update the app. Thus I call tech support tomorrow - whom ever answers the phone -  sigh - I have to remember it’s not them - I’m on the verge of putting every Fing speaker, sub, sound bar, amp et al on marketplace. I work part-time at BB - I just told some of the blue shirts DO NOT SELL SONOS until they’ve gotten there all together. I sell a TON of SONOS products. Not anymore - This is BS - 

EDIT - just sent an email to Karen Weise at NY Times. She is a technology reporter. Why her? Because she’s the email address I found hoping she’d listen. Somebody has to hear this. I feel ignored. 

If you mean you need to update the mobile app in order to update the system, you could try updating the system using a different device (e.g. via the windows or Mac app) in order to avoid updating the mobile app.

I updating my system to latest firmware via new version of Android app, but I am still able to control it using the old app running on my iOS device.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Plex is basically my only way to play my own music library. However it is absolutely inconsistent, returns lots of errors with no explanation. Trying to use search on my Plex server from within Sonos simply says “an error occurred try again later”.

I guess it goes without saying but I’ll say it anyway: this was never an issue before the current app update.

Who has started a class action lawsuit against Sonos?  My expensive equipment does not work with the “new” app.  I now have a museum for Sonos.  It is inconceivable that Sonos lauched this app with no backup plan for its possible failure.  Sonos, I am requesting my money back so we can have a peaceful, fair divorce.

Who has started a class action lawsuit against Sonos?  My expensive equipment does not work with the “new” app.  I now have a museum for Sonos.  It is inconceivable that Sonos lauched this app with no backup plan for its possible failure.  Sonos, I am requesting my money back so we can have a peaceful, fair divorce.

Nobody has started one, because it’s unwinnable.  Similar to other times people have been pissed off at Sonos, there’s lots of blustery threats to sue the pants off them, but when (if) someone consults a lawyer, reality sets in. 

Userlevel 2

ROLL BACK TO THE OLD APP and keep this POS in development until it’s ready because it is CLEARLY NOT READY.  Is anybody from Sonos listening? Or is that more lies too? 

Law suits are about damages, well I don’t know how many dealers we have on here but the potential for damages are HUGE on this because thousands of customers who have spent untold dollars on their equipment now can’t use it.  For our dealership the support calls have gone through the roof and with us not able to tell them anything except “They’re working on it” … this hurts us as dealers as we recommend this stuff and now we are losing credibility and customers all because of a stupid decision on Sonos part.  Not all customers are able to understand we have no control over it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I must say I’ve not really experienced any major performance issues, once I worked out where everything now is, pined for the missing (but to me, essential) things, like missing editable playlists and timers.

I also don’t like the way that if one is playing a playlist, and you click on the Playlist icon (now mystifyingly on the bottom left corner, and not the top right corner) you are not shown the currently playing track, but the playlist from the top of the list. Irritating from a usability POV if you have a playlist with as many tracks as I sometimes do - some of my playlists have well over 60 tracks.) Also the contrast between the playing track and the rest is minimally contrasted - poor design from the POV of a partially-sighted user.

Just to ad to the so called “small number” of people who dislike the new app.
You really messed up here.
The removal of the Widget, the fact that you can’t control audio from the start screen any more, the removal of local mp3s as source … and everything.
The 1 Star on Android store is more then deserved, 0 Stars should be possible.
I can’t even sell this system anymore based on this absolut horrific state.