Skip to main content

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Still no release notes for this release.

Still no release notes for this release.

It was confirmed by the mods that the web team is putting the release notes live soon, but presumably they are California-based and so it might not be until later today UK time. 

And also, it’s not standard for Sonos to put out firmware release notes, so as it has been requested, this may be a special case.

And also, it’s not standard for Sonos to put out firmware release notes, so as it has been requested, this may be a special case.

Sonos has committed to being more communicative around updates so what was standard is no longer the expectation. 

After reading some of the comments this morning about the 16.3.3 firmware update, I thought I would give it a go. I always do my firmware updates from my newer Windows 10 computer in my upstairs office. I brought up the Sonos Windows Controller, noticed that there was a pending firmware update available and started it. I noticed that it didn’t take as long as some of the other firmware updates, but every appears to be running smooth. I keep thinking I am going to lose my Bedroom Play:1s, since they are my first speakers I purchased back in 2008. So, I went into the Bedroom and used the iPad mini, which I keep on the dresser and played the last song I had paused. The only thing that had me a little concerned was when I selected “About my Sonos System” right after the update, every device showed 16.3.3 along with their respective WM:0, since I have the Beam and Connect wired into my switch downstairs, which is a hard-wired connection to a port on the back of my Linksys router upstairs in my office. In my Living Room, I have a Sonos Beam and two Sonos One SLs in a surround sound configuration. But the two One SLs indicated WM:3. Thinking that maybe I lost those two speakers, I went down and turned on my Sony TV and tested the surround sound using one of the Youtube videos, and everything worked okay. So that was painless. Then I came back upstairs and looked again on my desktop controller and they went back to WM:0. So everything is back the way things were. 

Sonos has committed to being more communicative around updates so what was standard is no longer the expectation. 

Sure, but Corry said: “We did flag this with the web team yesterday, and just a few minutes ago heard that they were about to update the trelease notes] page” which sounded to me like a reactive response on the web team’s part rather than pro-active. That’s all.

I have been disappointed that Sonos still have not improved the communications process. But I guess after 4 months of asking it should not be a surprise. 

This will, almost certainly and with hindsight, be a stupid question with an obvious answer but can anyone enlighten me as to where the 16.3.3 reference is coming from?

All I am seeing in the (Android) app are 80.nnn references;

I have been disappointed that Sonos still have not improved the communications process. But I guess after 4 months of asking it should not be a surprise. 

In fairness I think they’ve improved or at least attempted in good faith. Follow through is an issue. 

This will, almost certainly and with hindsight, be a stupid question with an obvious answer but can anyone enlighten me as to where the 16.3.3 reference is coming from?

All I am seeing in the (Android) app are 80.nnn references;

It’s different on iOS it seems…

Ahhh build is the relevant one then, the rest is just Apple being Apple... 😂

Thanks @Rhonny 👍

Thanks @Rhonny 👍

It gives the v.16.3.3 text under ‘About My Sonos System’ in the Mac app to. But I don’t think it’s anything to do with Apple. I suspect (could be wrong) it is listed like this on the Windows app too, with Android being the anomaly for some reason. 

Thanks @Rhonny 👍

It gives the v.16.3.3 text under ‘About My Sonos System’ in the Mac app to. But I don’t think it’s anything to do with Apple. I suspect (could be wrong) it is listed like this on the Windows app too, with Android being the anomaly for some reason. 

Yep PC too so guess it is Android (I am 🍎 phobic, forgive my previous 🍎 being 🍎 comment). Never looked in PC app  🙄... Presumably this will go to 16.3.4/16.4.0 or even 17.0.0 next firmware release but build has to be the definitive reference surely?

Ever since the moderators “simplified” these boards, I’ve actually found it more and more difficult to get answers, or for that matter, to not even know where to look.  

For the 913 error, as near as I can figure out, there are at least two “workarounds” that are being touted as “fixes,” even though they would seem to be intended to be temporary in nature.

So I find myself walking away from all of this, and simply installing updates when Sonos rolls them out, in hopes that some day, one of them will restore access to my music, playlists, etc.  This is the one that Sonos told us we’d have in June, then July, then August, then August/September….  I wish, at a minimum, that SONOS would provide honest answers to honest questions, and then deliver on their promises.  

To the folks that are trying to help, thank you.  To Sonos, I guess I’ll never really understand the business decision that chose to sell your users down the river, nor the inability to give us accurate and timely information.  But until that begins to happen, I’ll just wait for the next update (and one after that, and that...) hoping that some day, one of these will give us back what was purposefully taken away from us.

Hi,

I am not able to search my music from my iOS devices. I can still do this from my desktop controllers. The iOS apps get updated when a new version is pushed out but I have not updated the desktop app or the hardware since the mess began. I’m still on 16.2(79.0-52294) and am scared that if I update I’ll start seeing devices go missing and other issues that have plagued so many others. 

so, my questions…

If I update my hardware now, will the search work properly again?

If I update my hardware, do I risk connectivity and other issues, or have they all now being resolved?

Hi,

I am not able to search my music from my iOS devices. I can still do this from my desktop controllers. The iOS apps get updated when a new version is pushed out but I have not updated the desktop app or the hardware since the mess began. I’m still on 16.2(79.0-52294) and am scared that if I update I’ll start seeing devices go missing and other issues that have plagued so many others. 

so, my questions…

If I update my hardware now, will the search work properly again?

If I update my hardware, do I risk connectivity and other issues, or have they all now being resolved?

I updated yesterday to the most recent firmware (16.3.3) and I have not noticed any issues with my four IOS devices. I just did a search again just to make sure. And I was reluctant in doing this update yesterday, since I have some older Play:1s and thought that they might disappear, but everything seems to be okay. 

I haven’t been back to the forums for a couple of months - and no surprises, the app is still terrible, there’s still a complete lack of decent fixes for all the things that the old app handled fine.

My speakers refuse to stay on my network, constant drop outs, disappearing devices, the endless ‘something went wrong’ message, and excessive battery use on iOS.

I went from having a sound system that all my family and friends and guests would comment on, to having one that won’t stay connected, can’t edit the queue, and requires me to endlessly restart, quit, reboot, power off and then cycle my router and APs over and over again just to get even close to the experience I had before the HORROR SHOW of an update.

Now my speaker system has become a running joke for friends and family when we can’t get through more than an hour without speakers dropping off the app, or constant drop outs (which I never had before the app update in May). Was awesome, now is an embarrassment.

I haven’t really bothered coming back to the forums just to be ignored and treated like and idiot by the company, but after a random morning of endless speakers going missing in the app, and then not being able to stream without dropouts I thought I’d drop back in to see if there’s been any fix or progress.

Clearly not.

Have others just given up as well? I guess it looks better from a metrics point of view if more and more of us quietly give up.

The app remains as awful as it did on the first day of launch, major issues with speakers staying visible in the app, constant drop outs and lag.

5 months on, still a trainwreck.

I haven’t been back to the forums for a couple of months - and no surprises, the app is still terrible, there’s still a complete lack of decent fixes for all the things that the old app handled fine.

My speakers refuse to stay on my network, constant drop outs, disappearing devices, the endless ‘something went wrong’ message, and excessive battery use on iOS.

I went from having a sound system that all my family and friends and guests would comment on, to having one that won’t stay connected, can’t edit the queue, and requires me to endlessly restart, quit, reboot, power off and then cycle my router and APs over and over again just to get even close to the experience I had before the HORROR SHOW of an update.

Now my speaker system has become a running joke for friends and family when we can’t get through more than an hour without speakers dropping off the app, or constant drop outs (which I never had before the app update in May). Was awesome, now is an embarrassment.

I haven’t really bothered coming back to the forums just to be ignored and treated like and idiot by the company, but after a random morning of endless speakers going missing in the app, and then not being able to stream without dropouts I thought I’d drop back in to see if there’s been any fix or progress.

Clearly not.

Have others just given up as well? I guess it looks better from a metrics point of view if more and more of us quietly give up.

The app remains as awful as it did on the first day of launch, major issues with speakers staying visible in the app, constant drop outs and lag.

5 months on, still a trainwreck.

I can’t wait until they update the IOS app to allow editing the music queue. Every time I search my local music library for a song, and allows me to play it, it always enters another instance of that song into the existing queue, even if the song is currently in that queue. This, of course keeps making the queue larger. Why wouldn’t the search just take me to that song in that queue and allow me to play just that song and not add another instance of that song into the queue, or allow me to easily delete that song upon playing it. I have to keep going to my Windows PC Controller and perform my edits that way. 

It’s strange how days go by in silence. Has everyone given up?

I have not exactly given up but I have managed to align my expectations with Sonos’ ability create and deliver fixes and missing features.

I figure if I expect nothing I won’t be disappointed 🤣

The painful reality is they cannot even organs regular communications on progress. 

I have not exactly given up but I have managed to align my expectations with Sonos’ ability create and deliver fixes and missing features.

The painful reality is they cannot even organs regular communications on progress. 

The promise a while ago was to keep to the two weekly update cycle and this has not happened. Presumably the next update will be for iOS 18 but whether or not it does anything else, who knows. 

The promise a while ago was to keep to the two weekly update cycle and this has not happened. Presumably the next update will be for iOS 18 but whether or not it does anything else, who knows. 

I am on iOS 18 rc and the old app 16.1 works however truplay is not supported but tbh on or off it doesn’t do much anyway 😊

I am on iOS 18 rc and the old app 16.1 works however truplay is not supported but tbh on or off it doesn’t do much anyway 😊

Fortunate for you 🙂 But the new app just barely works with ios17 so can’t imagine it will be much better with ios18 but I’ll be happy if I’m wrong.

I’ve at least given up looking in the Community Forum on a daily basis that’s for sure. I’d like only one answer for now and here’s my question: Does Sonos have ANY intention of fixing the situation for us non-streamers who have their music libraries on Network Attached Storage (external or internal hard drives)??  If not, I’m seriously thinking of selling my stuff to my son at a severe discount and investing in another product. This entire process has left a really bad taste in my mouth for Sonos in general.

Have you read the information CEO comments here, the information in the app update schedule here, seen the posts release notes here, or even the quarterly comments here?

My new iPhone arrives on Friday. I’m guessing it will be months before true play works with ios18 and the new phones?