Skip to main content

Your feedback on the new Sonos App

Hi Everyone

We moderators of the community - @Corry P@Jamie A & @Sotiris C. - wanted to take an opportunity to explain some of what is currently happening on the community.

First of all, we value all the feedback you are providing about the new Sonos App. We hear you. Feedback is coming in fast and thick, however - for understandable reasons - and to be frank, we are having trouble just keeping up with it all. For this reason, some topics that have not yet been replied to will go unanswered. We will, however, do our best to amalgamate some of these separate threads into bigger, related threads (such as one big thread for Alarm complaints and another for Queue Management) to be answered en-mass. The threads that are feedback on other aspects of the new app will be merged with this post.

Threads that describe issues such as missing rooms and app crashes (those that are not just feedback, in other words) will be answered, as will threads not relating to the new app in anyway, but these will take a bit longer than normal.

Please be aware that we are reading every post, we are recording and collating all feedback, and all of it will be passed over to the app software development team. In addition, we are doing our best to identify previously unidentified issues and report them to our technical teams.

We know many of you are concerned about certain features going missing, so let us take this opportunity to say that the following features are coming back:

• Alarms management
  • Sleep timers
  • Queue management
  • Playlist editing

In addition and contrary to some speculation, local Music Library is not going anywhere, though SMBv1 support has been permanently removed. Local Music Library searching is something that is still being worked on.

We’d also like to thank everyone who has taken it upon themselves to help others here with their questions and concerns - we appreciate you all!

Thanks for listening - take care of yourselves, and each other.

Combined threads:

General feedback (not relating specifically to those below):

Queue management: 

Alarms:

Playlists: 

Music Library:

Sleep Timers:

Please note that there is an official statement that can be read here.

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

MattyJake… This may be a dumb question but, does PlexAmp connect to our Sonos speakers or are you talking about an alternate system/software altogether?

All good!

You can cast to your Sonos speakers. And you then just use the Sonos app to handle grouping and anything else specific to their system.

It also has a huge library of crowdsourced EQ settings and a whole bunch of other good ones.

and for a bonus, you can connect to your library remotely from Wi-Fi or cellular. And for cellular, you can set the compression rate you want from uncompressed down to 128. And when you’re on Wi-Fi, you automatically get the compression level level of the music in your library.

And, you can invite other Plex users to be able to access your Library and do the same thing.

And… It’s completely completely free!!!!!!!!

Has totally changed the game for me, I’m not even kidding.

Not entirely true. I’ve just spent a couple of hours creating a Plex media server on an old laptop which works fine. But when I loaded the app on my phone it says I have to pay for the premium version if I want to cast to my Sonos speakers so not completely free!

You can add it Plex as a service within Sonos and should be able to use it for free that way.

Added plex as a service but made no difference. Actually I don’t see how this would help anyway. I’m not looking to play my plex music server via Sonos app. I want to play my Sonos music using the Plexamp app. Or am I missing something?

What did you do to this app? It is horrible, not user friendly and stupidly designed. You took a  great product and turned it into a disaster.  I'm ready to sell off all of our speakers and try anything else. You destroyed an excellent product.  What was the purpose of changing it? 

Thank you as SONOS!!!!

MattyJake… This may be a dumb question but, does PlexAmp connect to our Sonos speakers or are you talking about an alternate system/software altogether?

All good!

You can cast to your Sonos speakers. And you then just use the Sonos app to handle grouping and anything else specific to their system.

It also has a huge library of crowdsourced EQ settings and a whole bunch of other good ones.

and for a bonus, you can connect to your library remotely from Wi-Fi or cellular. And for cellular, you can set the compression rate you want from uncompressed down to 128. And when you’re on Wi-Fi, you automatically get the compression level level of the music in your library.

And, you can invite other Plex users to be able to access your Library and do the same thing.

And… It’s completely completely free!!!!!!!!

Has totally changed the game for me, I’m not even kidding.

Not entirely true. I’ve just spent a couple of hours creating a Plex media server on an old laptop which works fine. But when I loaded the app on my phone it says I have to pay for the premium version if I want to cast to my Sonos speakers so not completely free!

You can add it Plex as a service within Sonos and should be able to use it for free that way.

Added plex as a service but made no difference. Actually I don’t see how this would help anyway. I’m not looking to play my plex music server via Sonos app. I want to play my Sonos music using the Plexamp app. Or am I missing something?

This is what I found while researching Plexamp. I’ve also been looking into Audirvarna but, anything beyond playing JUST your stored music (Audirvana Origin), costs a monthly or yearly subscription. It seems to to very feature rich though.  Here’s the Plexamp support link:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/control-sonos-playback-with-a-plex-app/

Since "the update", I'm struggling with this app. I have lost all the services and systems,

I reinstalled them all, finally the devices work, until they disappear and magically return.

the services, hahahaha,

I have had to reinstall them and they no longer work, I am very simple, I am tired of SONOS, so I have decided not to update my system as I had planned and sell them,

I have an investment of three complete systems for rooms and home cinema in 3 houses,

but SONOS ended.

I can't take it anymore and the worst thing is that SONOS doesn't help us

This is what I found while researching Plexamp. I’ve also been looking into Audirvarna but, anything beyond playing JUST your stored music (Audirvana Origin), costs a monthly or yearly subscription. It seems to to very feature rich though.

Hi @SlamDesi, in Mar-Apr I went through a great deal of due diligence on ‘proper’ music software—Audirvana, JRiver, Plex, Roon—and soul searching on paying for it. I chose Audirvana and months later I remain delighted, running it on Windows and a Raspberry Pi. Drop me a PM if you have questions!

This is what I found while researching Plexamp. I’ve also been looking into Audirvarna but, anything beyond playing JUST your stored music (Audirvana Origin), costs a monthly or yearly subscription. It seems to to very feature rich though.

Hi @SlamDesi, in Mar-Apr I went through a great deal of due diligence on ‘proper’ music software—Audirvana, JRiver, Plex, Roon—and soul searching on paying for it. I chose Audirvana and months later I remain delighted, running it on Windows and a Raspberry Pi. Drop me a PM if you have questions!

Thanks, press250… I believe that one of your posts suggested that I look into Audirvana weeks ago.  Since I’m beginning to feel as if Sonos is considering those of us with stored music (NAS users) as “Acceptable Collateral”, I’ve been researching and considering your advice.

I’d like the new App to allow me to easily revert back to playing the queue on a speaker after having listened to a radio station alarm. This used to be possible in S2, and also is still possible using the Windows PC controller. However, once the alarm has played the radio station there seems to be no way to get back to the queue from the IOS app. Could the ‘queue’ button at the bottom left of the device screen be re-instated whilst a radio station is playing?

I’d like the new App to allow me to easily revert back to playing the queue on a speaker after having listened to a radio station alarm. This used to be possible in S2, and also is still possible using the Windows PC controller. However, once the alarm has played the radio station there seems to be no way to get back to the queue from the IOS app. Could the ‘queue’ button at the bottom left of the device screen be re-instated whilst a radio station is playing?

Queue management functionality is being added in the coming weeks. Perhaps what you say may then be possible. 

Queue management functionality is being added in the coming weeks. Perhaps what you say may then be possible. 

Queue management would be great, but as a quick fix I’d just like to start playing the queue again (even if I can’t edit it), without having to fire up a laptop. 

Added? Don't you mean “restored”? The "plan" is to give back what was taken away months ago.

Added? Don't you mean “restored”? The "plan" is to give back what was taken away months ago.

The ability to manage queues will again be possible, like it was previously, but this is a new app that has not yet had queue management added.

The ability to manage queues will again be possible, like it was previously, but this is a new app that has not yet had queue management added.

But in the interim, why not at least allow the current queue to simply be played - even if it cannot currently be ‘managed’?

The discussion was about “queue management functionality” (as you called it), not about semantically splitting  hairs. We had it. It was taken away. We still don't have it back. And “coming weeks” has turned to a joke.

I don’t know but wake-up sounds like a nice feature that has been restored, but are there any plans to enable function to have a wake-up for a specified period, for example 30 minutes? Now wake-up is forever…

I installed the latest Sonos iPhone update yesterday and… nothing. I attempted to add my Music Library stored on my iMac and it failed. Three times. Sharing and Permissions are wide open.  Sonophone works every time.

I have been able to get some sort of music in my home after four months of silence.

maybe this could help someone else…

I created a new Sonos-account.

Factory reset of ALL devices.

Removed app in iPhone and download latest version.

Changed from sonosnet to WiFi-connecting each device.

Still doesn’t work with iPad, but now I can play music, but can’t save changed bass and treble, wake up might work but never stops playing.

STILL not a word from second line support regarding my escalated case…. 
I will NEVER EVER buy a new Sonos product!!!

/STefan

Hi @StefanT 

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’ve had, and that our agent has not been back in touch with you - we’ve found the owner of your case and have asked for them to pick your case up again soon.

I hope this helps.

What has happened to 'Recently Played' this evening (UK)?

Absent, gone, no longer there, on leave...

Here for me… (UK)

Anyone else notice that if you delete something from the Edit Home Screen that there’s no option to add it back? It’s gone forever… and if you have multiple controllers on your account they sync, so it’s gone everywhere?

Would be nice to be able to configure the order of search results too… 😉

How do you delete something from the Edit Home Screen? All I have is reordering.

Edit - oh, just seen you can slide it away. I’d better not do that!!

Hi @StefanT 

Sorry to hear of the trouble you’ve had, and that our agent has not been back in touch with you - we’ve found the owner of your case and have asked for them to pick your case up again soon.

I hope this helps.

Had?

The product I have payed more than 20.000 euro for is still not woriking as before May this year.

im still waiting for second line support to get back and I really EXPECT that someone from Sonos support will call me, even if I have waited since beginning of June for this call to happened…..

It’s been months and this app still sucks.

It’s been months and this app still sucks.

I gather this means the long-awaited return of functions like access to saved Sonos playlists and ‘queue editing’ is still a work in progress?

Sonos has said September/October is the target for a return to normalcy. Sounds as though it will be another month or two before it will be reasonably safe to update my app and firmware.

I’ll keep checking back now and then, since it seems unlikely Sonos will send out an ‘all clear’ via email or a notification in the app.